Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Not enough fat in your milk, you need t

Default Re: "Not enough fat in your milk, you ne

Wait, wouldn't that chart mean that there is more fat in cow's milk? The second column has the % fat in it. . .

Not that that means it is better than BM, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Wait, wouldn't that chart mean that there is more fat in cow's milk? The second column has the % fat in it. . .

Not that that means it is better than BM, just saying.
    yeah it would. Hmmm I know I meant to comment that I wondered when in the nursing relationship these numbers were from or if it was an average as fat (etc) content varies depending on age of child. My point stands that I am not bfing for calories anymore anyway.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I suppose if you are really concerned about fat content, you could track down a lactating porpoise

I guess what I have heard is wrong. I always heard breastmilk was higher in fat, but considerably lower in protein, than cow's milk, at least for infants. I know it gets "lower-fat" as your baby gets older.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Kellymom table on fat content

It would appear from this that fat content can range from 2-5g/100ml which is a pretty significant range imo

I think this kellymom article on toddler feeding is pretty good and might be useful to send (anonymously if you wish) to the ped.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I guess what I have heard is wrong. I always heard breastmilk was higher in fat, but considerably lower in protein, than cow's milk, at least for infants. I know it gets "lower-fat" as your baby gets older.
    At least one study has found the opposite: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16140689/. The study concluded that "Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    At least one study has found the opposite: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16140689/. The study concluded that "Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant."
    That's awesome!

It does seem like there's some conflicting data here, but I think the one thing you can be sure of is that breastmilk is good for your toddler.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It makes evolutionary sense that nature would provide more fat or calorie dense milk for toddlers who nurse more frequently - make sure they are getting what they need.

Sorry I haven't been back until now... crazy week. Anyway, thanks so much for the facts! It does stand to reason that breastmilk would still provide essential additives to your toddler's diet. Why else would the recommendation be to nurse for 2 yrs at least? I would think that you would never need to give your child milk other than human milk so long as they are getting a pretty well rounded diet. It's just frustrating for a professional to be misinformed, because there are mothers who take their Peds word as law. They just don't know any better

I recently spoke with a LC about my milk because my son is small and the pedi suggested that my milk was like "skim". The LC said that there is a machine that can analyze the fat and calorie content of your milk. You bring samples in from different pumping sessions during the day. It is often used in NICUs. I was going to have it done, but when I got a second opinion, that pedi was not at all concerned about my son's weight. I'm sure it's not cheap, but my LC was going to arrange to have it done for me for free. I would really be curious to know...