Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Not enough fat in your milk, you need t

Default "Not enough fat in your milk, you need t

I was recently told that at DS 15 month check up. My ped was out sick, so we saw another in the practice. (I love our regular ped!!). I'm just curious about other's thoughts on this...

Here is where I am:

We fill in little man's diet with other healthy fats. He eats avacoado on a regular basis. He does eat yogurt most days. Peanut butter is a staple in our house.

I just see no need to push hormone packed cows milk on him. We can't affod organic all the time, but if we could, I still wouldn't give it to him a lot.

I love to hear other mother's who nurse toddlers opinions on things like this....

Default Re: "Not enough fat in your milk, you ne

I've always heard that breastmilk has quite a bit more fat by volume than cow's milk, even whole cow's milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I honestly haven't done my homework on this one. I think maybe I should in case I happen to see that doctor again before LO weans. This doctor also asked how DS was sleeping at night (he wakes every 1-2 hours still) and then proceeded to tell me she was letting her 6 mo old CIO. Breaks my heart. I looked at her and said "He co-sleeps and we don't feel that CIO is healthy for his emotional development" I don't usually say things so directly to people, but I honestly didn't want her opinon on the matter.

Sorry, off topic. I guess off to do some research.

My pediatrician pushed CIO on me too, but I just nodded and ignored. It's not a medical issue, people.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Here is an old study that I found right off the bat:

Human milk 4.0 and cows milk 3.5 hhhmmmm

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...lk_content.htm

And Dr. Sears concern with cow's milk isn't even the fat needed..it's calcium.

http://www.askdrsears.com/content/do...need-cows-milk

Interesting so far... I will keep reading

Don't sweat it, you are doing great mama!

I would ask him if he's seen the price of milk these days

So many doctors have very outdated info on breastmilk

You know, my first thought when she asked about him sleeping at night was "and how is that relevant to his health?" I mean, really, if she looked at his files, he is a healthy little boy, and he looks it too!

More fat in breastmilk than cows milk

but lets face it if you are nursing after a year it is probably more about all the other nutrients and IMMUNITIES than it is about the fats/calories. My LO has cows milk (couple of times a week) when she asks for it and nurses when she asks for it (a lot more often). She has a good varied diet and I love that I don't have to worry on those odd days when she barely eats because I know she is getting plenty of calories from breastmilk. But i nurse her for her comfort (2 yr molars) and for the immunities and the unique nutrient composition not for the calories.

ETA: sorry the pic is huge
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    More fat in breastmilk than cows milk

but lets face it if you are nursing after a year it is probably more about all the other nutrients and IMMUNITIES than it is about the fats/calories. My LO has cows milk (couple of times a week) when she asks for it and nurses when she asks for it (a lot more often). She has a good varied diet and I love that I don't have to worry on those odd days when she barely eats because I know she is getting plenty of calories from breastmilk. But i nurse her for her comfort (2 yr molars) and for the immunities and the unique nutrient composition not for the calories.
    That is one of the reasons I am so glad we are nursing still. There are days he is a little off and doesn't eat well... but I don't sweat it cause he nurses all.night.long. lol And it's more for comfort these days....I can't imagine not having that tool. I just don't understand doctors not educating themselves.

My husband was actually a little aggravated by it. He asked me if I checked her credentials in nutrition and diet education....because let's face it, I highly doubt they are doing extensive studying in that area.

But I've also always read that if your baby is nursing 4-5X per day, you don't need any additional milk. Like durhamgrrl, I did both cow's milk and breast milk after 1, but that was my choice, not a necessity.

You can call me JoMo!