Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dang it Fenugreek!

Default Dang it Fenugreek!

So my supply is so-so to ok when I'm on Fenugreek, and pretty pathetic when I'm off it. I had accepted that maybe I was going to need to stay on it until summer break when I can be home fulltime with dd. However, the last few weeks I've been awoken with stomach aches. Pretty nasty ones - I've had salmonella before and it was similar.
    So I have ruled out everything and it seems Fenugreek is the culprit. When I'm off it, no aches (also no real milk supply), when I'm on it I'm miserable.

So my question is has anyone found that fiddling with your dosage helped the aches? Or am I just in trouble?
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

Default Re: Dang it Fenugreek!

I have a really BAD reaction to fenugreek. Stomach cramps and diarrhea. Like food poisoning. I just can't tolerate it. But luckily for me, I have always had a pretty good supply and don't need it! Have you found that eating oatmeal or any of the other galactagogues help you at all?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I've been eating oatmeal every morning for weeks and if I'm not on the Fenugreek I'm lucky to get an oz between both sides, maybe 2 if I'm really lucky and do a lot of massage. This is when I'm at work and am not nursing dd.
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

Try Blessed thistle instead of or in addition and see if you can reduce fenugreek.

It gives me headaches at high doses.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i get pretty bad gas on fenugreek, i really decided it was worth the discomfort -- but I guess it all depends on the severity. i found that eating with it helped. Also, I switched from fenugreek to more mothers milk plus, which is a liquid tincture that's a blend of fenugreek and other herbs. Good luck figuring it all out.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Have you tried safe co-sleeping? It's associated with improved supply, and less need for pumping. Prolactin hormone production peaks overnight (that's why we have the most milk in the morning) and having baby there to bf on cue will help that even further. Plus s/he will take in calories overnight and have less need for pumped milk.

Hey mama, careful about calling your supply 'pretty pathetic' :-/ I know it's frustrating, but getting down on yourself won't lead you to happiness. Your body is made to nourish your baby, there are some technicalities like seperation (work) and no pump is as efficient as a baby, but remember you are made to do this.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Have you tried safe co-sleeping? It's associated with improved supply, and less need for pumping. Prolactin hormone production peaks overnight (that's why we have the most milk in the morning) and having baby there to bf on cue will help that even further. Plus s/he will take in calories overnight and have less need for pumped milk.

Hey mama, careful about calling your supply 'pretty pathetic' :-/ I know it's frustrating, but getting down on yourself won't lead you to happiness. Your body is made to nourish your baby, there are some technicalities like seperation (work) and no pump is as efficient as a baby, but remember you are made to do this.
    . very true mama. great thoughts.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Have you tried safe co-sleeping? It's associated with improved supply, and less need for pumping. Plus s/he will take in calories overnight and have less need for pumped milk.
    Ruby has been snuggling in bed with us since the first week or so and does nurse 3-4 times over night. Its funny you mention needing less pumped milk - my dh watched a formula/bottle fed 5 week old down 4oz every 3 hours or so and whispered to me "am I starving Ruby?" - she takes about 10 ozs in the 8-9 hours I'm gone.

It's just frustrating that the thing that does help with production causes me some pretty severe pain - I've lived through a ruptured appendix, salmonella infection, and chronic gallbladder issues until it was also removed....I can deal with stomach pain but this really knocks me on my butt. Once the pain hits a high note there is no calming it, just gritting my teeth and baring it. Ugh.

Picked up Blessed Thistle, am going to research the correct amount to take.

Truthfully I am probably pumping just enough for her day, but in the 3 weeks I've been back to work I've been struggling to get 10oz. On Monday classes start back up so I'm going to be busy as all heck. I just need to make sure to make time for pumping.
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning