Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: won't stay latched on

Default won't stay latched on

My 3 month old won't stay latched on correctly. he will latch then pull back, narrow his latch, stretch my nipple and pull off before I can release suction. I know that he knows how to stay on correctly. Do they have bad habits at this age, and behavioral issues at the breast. I am not sure what else it could be. My nipple is sore, and I have become so frustrated with this that it is not enjoyable to feed him at all. Just frustrating and irritating. Any suggestions, I am not sure what to do to help things.

Default Re: won't stay latched on

Ouch! Try sticking a knuckle in there when he's about to do that do open his mouth wider. My son was doing this and I had to keep doing that and if he was biting like that just end the session. It took about avweek but he stopped
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I think part of the problem is that I am having to use both hands. So stick an knuckle in when he narrows his latch? Did your son still come off the breast when you did that?

He would poen his mouth/lips and clamp down and pull off - when I thought he was getting ready to do that i would stick my knuckle in there to open his gums wider - then I would end the session.
    Proud mom of 2:

how long do you end the session? thanks for your help btw.

until I think he actually wants to nurse. It could be just a few min but I want him to get the pont not to bite me - especially before he gets teeth!
    Proud mom of 2:

okay, I am a little new to this stuff. I also want to break this before teeth, that is one reason I started to get really concerned.

Is the pulling off and clamping down happening at any particular time during the feeding? At the end of the feeding, during a letdown, or perhaps when something interesting catches his attention? If the annoying behavior is happening at the end of a feeding, he may be losing his latch because he wants to keep sucking but not to keep drinking, or because he's really done feeding and is just playing around. If this is the case, you may want to take him off the breast and relatch him, or try offering a pacifier if he's not really interested in nursing but still wants to suck. (If he cries, he's still hungry, so put him back on the breast.). If your LO is shallowing his latch during letdowns, it may be his way of coping with a fast letdown of milk- rather like the way an adult would crimp a hose to slow the flow of water. If this is the case, you may want to try adopting some reclined nursing positions that use gravity to slow milk flow, and if you have symptoms of oversupply, you might want to think about block feeding. If you're simply dealing with a distracted baby who is suddenly interested in everything he sees and is turning his head to follow, you may want to try nursing him in a calm, dark, relaxed environment where distractions are at a minimum.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Originally we believed he had reflux. He began unlatching so I started reading some articles. I discovered maybe he was showing signs of over supply, such as clamping down, coming off the breast at let down, spraying milk from the left breast when he would come off (not every time), spitting up after 1.5 hr after the feeding, eating for only 5 min on one side, greenish stools ( from to much foremilk), frequent/constant burping. At the same time my breast never felt overly full. So I did block feeding for a couple of days, as well as trying to recline with feedings, and the spitting seemed to be a little better, and the stools, but still burps a lot. Now I think that he make be narrowing his latch and pulling off because the let down is taking longer. I def don't think that he is distracted, he usually just opens his eyes bigger or completely opens his mouth and comes off when he gets startled. I just tried ending the session when he tried to pull of, and we started and stopped several times, which resulted in a screaming meltdown. I then was able to feed him after he went to sleep. I think it may be a case of impatience, because that feed seemed to go better when he was sleepy, or maybe he just isn't hungry. I am just confused, and nervous because I have to go back to work 1 to 2 days a week next week. After all that what do you think?