Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thrush? Or something else?

Default Re: Thrush? Or something else?

I don't wash mine with anything most of the time. I've been keeping them covered with neosporin or lanolin as much as possible.

To add to my worries, I weighed her tonight (I have a baby scale.) and her weight gain hasn't been great this last week. She was steadily gaining 1oz/day for the last few weeks and the last few days that's cut more in half. That's still technically a trend of adequate (averaging 1/2 oz/day) but with the boob woes I'm paranoid that she's not transferring well. Especially since I've had 2 clogged ducts in 2 days. She's been able to clear the clog both days within a couple of feedings, but you know.. I'm paranoid.

(Let me add that I'm having a TERRIBLE time with postpartum anxiety. It's really, really severe. I started meds a month ago but had to double my dose today because I've been a mess.)

Just thought I'd update.

I started Diflucan on Friday and as of today (Sunday) I'm nursing almost pain free.
    I have also been paying a LOT of attention to her latch, striving for a deeper latch (I figure that can't hurt, even if that's not what the problem has been) so that might be helping, too.

The aching is gone. When I have pain now, it's at her initial latch and doesn't last.

She latched onto the left side earlier and it didn't hurt AT ALL and I was astounded. such a relief.
    Yesterday she nursed 14 times, so thank goodness things have been improving.

As an aside, my period started today at 7 weeks postpartum. That was annoying. It came back at 8 weeks postpartum after my son, but I thought it was because I was pumping and not BFing, but apparently that's just my body's M.O. Not really appreciated.
    And I wonder if some of the hormones weren't contributing to all around issues.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Certainly hormones can make a latch and nursing uncomfortable. I feel that way when I ovulate and when I'm PMS. I'd keep up the thrush treatment and keep an eye on that latch.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks for the update! So glad to hear that things are going better!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"