Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrush? Or something else?

Default Re: Thrush? Or something else?

Thanks everyone. The pain seems to be decreasing the last couple of days. I've been meticulous with her latch. It still hurts more than it did, but a deeper latch does hurt less.
    I've been boiling her pacis, but I have a box of steam bags here, I'll give those a shot, too. Truthfully she doesn't take one much, she really prefers the boob. (Which was fine before it hurt!)

As for what has changed, the only thing I can think is that I did get a little "lazier" about positioning. Instead of always being sitting up, I was more likely to be laying back, propping her more with a pillow or blanket than holding her with my hand. Maybe that was enough to cause a change to cause more irritation.

I will try to find some GSE and see if that helps as well.

Thank you all so much.
    I tried asking questions on another website with a breastfeeding board and basically got "breastfeeding is supposed to hurt."
    YIKES!

I haven't figured out a lot of positions (I can't do side lying yet or the laid back). I'm very large breasted and when I try, she ends up smothering in my breast. I'm hoping as she gets older and more head control we can figure some of that out.

I do cross-cradle on the right and usually football on the left, though I have been switching it up on the left and doing cross cradle as well, hoping to vary where the pressure is.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*triciajoy View Post
    I tried asking questions on another website with a breastfeeding board and basically got "breastfeeding is supposed to hurt."
    YIKES!
    That is SO wrong. I don't even know where to begin. It should not hurt, and if it does - something is amiss! for the GSE!!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I haven't figured out a lot of positions (I can't do side lying yet or the laid back). I'm very large breasted and when I try, she ends up smothering in my breast. I'm hoping as she gets older and more head control we can figure some of that out.
    if you are happy with the positions you are doing, no reason to change them, and it usually does get easier as baby is older to experiment with new positions. I like to see moms try laid back if they can for several reasons- 1) it lets mom be supported and more comfortable, 2) it seems to help babies latch more comfortably & 3) It very easlily allows mom to turn baby so the mouth is not always hitting the nipple the same way, iykwim, and this can sometimes help if one part of the nipple is getting rubbed and irritated by the same positioning all time. This last can be done in other positions too, but laid back just kind of lends itself to it. But moms with larger breasts do often have a trickier time with it. Some ideas if you want to keep experimenting:

1) remember laid back is kind of more of a nursing style than a specific position. Lean back as much or as little as you wish, and position baby however you wish on you. for ideas, visit the biological nurturing website.
    2) Some moms who are concerned baby's nose is buried in the breast find they can just gently push back the breast tissue right around baby's nostrils with a finger & create an airway.
    3) You can get baby latched well in a sitting up position and then settle back into a more reclined position if you like.

One other thought... The appearance of your nipples after nursing can sometimes be a clue whether there's a latch issue. A stretched out, cylindrical nipple like a pencil eraser is what you want to see. If you can see a crease in your nipple, or if it's got an asymmetrical shape like lipstick, or if it turns white or purple, then there might be something going on with the latch.

One of the tricky things with nipple pain is that you can't always tell immediately if the problem has been resolved, because you might still have pain while your nipples are healing. It's easier to tell when it's NOT getting better than when it IS, if that makes any sense. I hope you continue to see improvement!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Yes, the "it's supposed to hurt" comment left me speechless. I honestly didn't even reply. I wanted to say "NO IT'S NOT! And certainly not like THIS!" but then I felt like a jerk because *I* was asking for advice. So I just let it go.

I do the sitting up, then leaning back thing sometimes. That seems to help. I have an easier time latching her when I can use gravity in my favor. And I do often use my thumb to pull my skin back a bit so she has an airway.

As for the shape of my nipples- I DO have a crease on both sides every time. I always have, since the beginning. I asked about it, but basically was told since it didn't hurt and she was gaining well that it was okay.
    I've tried and tried and tried to stuff more of my nipple in her mouth to get a deeper latch and get that perfect round pencil eraser, but I just never have been able to achieve it.

I do think things are getting better, though. It's still sore, but I would describe it more as "quite sore" and not "excrutiating" like it was. I would much rather it not hurt at ALL, but the way it is now, I can nurse through this. As bad as it was for almost a week there, I was really about ready to just give up on the breast completely. It was awful.

I ended up kinda picking at that "spot" on my nipple a little trying to open up that pore a little bit. It's now a little bit scabby (just keeping it gobbed with lanolin now) but seems like maybe that might have helped? So maybe it was that the whole time?
    I'm still going to take my round of diflucan, though.

It's possible that was a bleb. Put some of that polysporin stuff on the scab. The last thing you need is an infection.

Have you sought out your local LLL group? I would get thee to a meeting, mama. Maybe the leader can help you out with some hands-on positioning and take a look at the latch.

Christine

Everyone gives such great advice here! I have just one small insight from my four months of dealing with thrush (if that's even what you have) : bar soap can support it! I swear our thrush only finally went away (3 diflucan scripts later) after i switched to shower gel.

Good luck! I hope the pain goes away soon!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katmar View Post
    Everyone gives such great advice here! I have just one small insight from my four months of dealing with thrush (if that's even what you have) : bar soap can support it! I swear our thrush only finally went away (3 diflucan scripts later) after i switched to shower gel.

Good luck! I hope the pain goes away soon!
    There's no need to use any kind of soap on your nipples while nursing, in fact you should avoid it. (Sorry, but I would strictly avoid any kind of gel as well. ) Your nipples are self cleaning and soap can upset their pH. I used soap around and under my breasts, but no where near the nipple. If you must clean them, use vinegar, which is acidic and will not upset the pH balance of your skin as much.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    There's no need to use any kind of soap on your nipples while nursing, in fact you should avoid it. (Sorry, but I would strictly avoid any kind of gel as well. ) Your nipples are self cleaning and soap can upset their pH. I used soap around and under my breasts, but no where near the nipple. If you must clean them, use vinegar, which is acidic and will not upset the pH balance of your skin as much.
    It's weird, because when I was dealing with thrush my good friend asked her cousin who is an OB if she had any thoughts. She *also* said bar soap. Then again, it wouldn't be surprising that an OB dishes out crappy breastfeeding advice.

Christine

Oh, but i dont just mean the soap for nipples -- i never wash mine! Ouch! I just mean in general, for eliminating the yeast around you. Dont use bar soap anywhere if you have thrush, cause really that yeast is everywhere (esp since she said she had a vag yeast infection too).
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!