Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier & nipple confusion

Default Pacifier & nipple confusion

When DD2 was born, after 1 paci use she wouldn't latch correctly on me so we did away with it. The LC recommended to hold off giving it to her until she was 4-6wks old and DD2 had gotten bfing down pretty good to avoid nipple confusion and/or supply issues.
    Well, I just tried giving to her about 1 wk ago but only for certain situation, like to hold her down while I finished showering or if I needed to go to the restroom, etc. Other than that, she's constantly on me for comfort.
    She took it just fine and would still latch on me just fine. A couple of days ago, DH gave it to her just so I could finish showering and afterwards she had such a hard time latching on. She was so fussy!! I had to revert back to the basics of bfing holding and squeezing some breast milk into her mouth to get her to latch on I felt like I was bfing for the 1st time again.
    Will she ever be able to take a paci AND still be able to breastfeed/latch normally without getting confused???
    Is it because the paci is very similar, too much so, to my nipple? Or should I try one that is different?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Pacifier & nipple confusion

bumping
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I just dealt with the fussies and worked on getting the baby to calm before latching. It only took a few tries and they both got the hang of it.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Will she ever be able to take a paci AND still be able to breastfeed/latch normally without getting confused???
    Maybe not, although chances are she will when she is older. I will say that many babys refuse binkys altogether (or are never offered them) and yet everyone survives. Binkys are not really neccesary baby equipment, and if nothing else works to comfort baby & baby really must suckle and momma is temporarily unavailable a clean adult pinky with a short nail and pad side up can work great.

Is it because the paci is very similar, too much so, to my nipple? Or should I try one that is different?
    I have no idea if this would make a difference or not. All binkys are breast substitutes.

It is also possible this issue is unrelated to the binky. Try different nursing positions, pay close attention to latch & make very sure its not thrush.

She did latch normally later that night, but I'm afraid to re-introduce the paci because she really does like it. I'm afraid that she'll get nipple confusion every.single.time she gets it.
    Will there ever be a time where she can have both, the paci AND latch (without problems)? I mean, is it an issue of waiting because maybe she's still too small or will it always be an issue?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Try again when she is older.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!