Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lower milk supply today?

Exclamation Lower milk supply today?

My baby just turned 6 weeks yesterday! The day before yesterday he was very, very sleepy and going four hours between feedings. At each feeding he filled up at the breast much longer than usual. Then that night he went 6 hours (usually it is 3 to four hours during the night and between 2 and 3 during the day). Yesterday he fed every 2 hours and went almost 5 hours without a feeding at night.

Last night my breasts felt totally "deflated" and I only pumped 2.5 ounces instead of the usual 5 ounces from the weaker breast. He has been feeding every hour to an hour and a half. He seems to be getting good swallows at first, feeds both sides (for much longer than usual), has a few spit ups and burps, and has wet and dirty diapers each feeding. He has been a little fussier the last few days especially at night.

I am assuming the milk flow will improve and this is all part of a growth spurt. Advice, encouragement, and similar stories needed.

Default Re: Lower milk supply today?

Sounds like a classic growth spurt to me! Six weeks is a common time for a bit of a spurt. Just keep nursing on demand, even if it means marathon sessions, and in a couple of days, your supply will have increased to meet the demand. It's especially common to feel "deflated" in the evenings, but it doesn't mean that your supply is low - it's hormonal, most women make the most milk in the early morning and the least in the evening.

If your baby is going through a growth spurt he will be removing more milk than usual. So you'll have less left to pump. Again, this doesn't mean anything's wrong. Your supply will increase to meet his demand if you just keep nursing - he's sending a signal to your brain with all that nursing to make more milk!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I was thinking growth spurt right up until you mentioned getting "only" 2.5 oz instead 5 oz from the weaker breast. For many moms, 2.5 oz is normal supply for the output of 2 breasts combined. 5 oz from just one breast suggests that you're in the oversupply realm.

Lots of moms freak out when they suddenly start feeling "deflated" almost all the time. But this is actually normal and desirable. You only feel full or engorged when you are making more milk than the baby needs, and making too much milk is a waste of energy and puts you at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. So eventually the body reigns in production, eventually reaching a nice balance where supply is well-matched to demand. When that happens, not only do your breasts feel different, but yo may notice some changes in your baby's behavior. If baby has been enjoying the fast flow of milk generated by the oversupply, he may fuss. If he has been nursing infrequently- say every 4 hours- he may incree his nursing frequency.

As long as wet and poopy diapers keep coming at a normal pace, what you are experiencing is normal and is nothing to be concerned about!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mmm. Good point. 5 oz would have been normal for me from one breast. BUUUUUTTT ... I had MASSIVE OVERSUPPLY that seriously didn't really go away until Joe was more than a year old!

So sometimes I miss these details. Good chance your body is just "evening" out supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think he is pretty much over the growth spurt and my boobs are the same. I was just reading on kellymom.com that breast milk can regulate between 6 and 12 weeks and can happen gradually or rather quickly. Baby seems content (until his regular little night time fussy spells), spitting up a little, and pees and poops are the same.

I think I had a little over supply and overactive let down on the left side the first 5 weeks and now that has regulated.
    Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you're doing GREAT!

(He'll probably get over those fussies in the next month or so, and you'll be seeing a lot more smiles. )

You can call me JoMo!