Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I get him to stretch his tongue out?

Default How can I get him to stretch his tongue out?

My 6 week old LO has a bad habit of not putting his tongue far enough out to cushion my nipple, so nursing is still often painful for me. But he doesn't always do this, because sometimes it doesn't hurt. I didn't realize what he was doing until one day I let him suck my finger and he was basically gumming/biting it! No wonder my nipples hurt!

I know he's not tongue tied though, because I've looked at several sources and he doesn't appear to have the symptoms of it. And if I hold out on giving him the breast when he cries, he will stick his tongue out past his gums, so I know he can. It's just a matter of getting him to do it consistently, KWIM?

I've been using an Avent bottle to sometimes give him EBM or a little bit of formula when my nipples need a break. I'm wondering if this is encouraging the gumming/biting. What can I do? I've tried relatching everytime it hurts. I've tried expressing BM and using lanolin to help the nipples heal. I think if I could only get him to stick his tongue done more, we would be all set and could nurse without pain!

Default Re: How can I get him to stretch his tongue out?

don't be afraid to call your local leader.. she can help with the latching on!
    maybe some ideas in this link will help
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...lAug94p53.html

My son was tongue tied and after we had it clipped at 9 weeks we had to help him figure out how to use it. What worked for us was to touch his lips with our finger and stick our tongue out at him. We played like this a lot for a couple of weeks and he eventually got the hang of it.

I had this same problem, and my lc told me to do "suck training" - use the back of your index finger,and gently touch his bottom lip and mvoe your finger down to his chin. He should open his mouth, adn probably he will draw his tongue back, exposing his bottom gums. Keep doing this over and over before each feeding until he covers his gums then latch him on. We only had to do this for a few days and mine got the hang of it, thank goodness - it is painful when they do that. Hope this helps!