Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day supply is awful but night is great?

Default Day supply is awful but night is great?

Hello all. My daughter is 10 weeks old. I'm so confused and disheartened about my situation and I'm wondering if it's normal or what I can do about it.

During the day it feels like I'm so empty. I sit in my glider and nurse her ALL DAY (occasionally stopping to try to get her to take a nap). She gets a few swallows on each side before she gives up due to the emptiness of that breast. I switch back and forth from one breast to the other like this all day just trying to get a few swallows milk into her at a time.

We can't go out anywhere during the day because she's always so hungry and needs this constant feeding of a few swallows at a time.

At night though (say 11pm to 6am) we sleep for a few hours at a time and when she wakes for feedings my breasts are pretty full feeling and she gets a great feed and goes back to sleep all nice and full.

Her pediatrician is constantly nudging me to supplement with formula during the day because she says it will make my and the baby's day easier. And also my baby is only in the 18th percentile so she's worried I'm not feeding her enough. :-(

I've resisted formula during the day but met my pediatrician half way by having my husband give 1 bottle of formula at around 9pm every night and that's it. (I take a nap then.)

So I would love to know... Does this sound normal or problematic? Is there any way to make the day-time better so I don't have to nurse her all day long non-stop?*How do I know if I'm underfeeding her?

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have!

Default Re: Day supply is awful but night is gre

Just to add that during the day I'd love to be able to feed her a nice amount of milk at one feeding so she has a full belly and we can stop nursing and do tummy time or go out for an hour to have lunch with a friend. Instead it's just this constant frustrating feeding of a few swallows at a time from each breast all day. :-(

What are her diapers like? How many wets and stools?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! What you describe sounds basically normal. Very frustrating, but normal!

Most moms feel like they have more milk at night than during the day. Levels of Prolactin, the milk-producing hormone, tend to peak at night and then decline throughout the day. This may explain why many new babies love to nurse at night- the milk is extra abundant and takes little effort to get out. It also can be a source of confusion. Many new moms think that to have milk they need to feel full, the way they feel at night. But this is not true: it is actually quite normal to feel "flat" or "empty" and yet still have plenty of milk. When you feel full, that just means you have extra milk sitting around.

Your baby's feeding pattern sounds a little unusual. So let me see if I understand it right. She latches on. She sucks. You hear her swallow a few times (how many?). And then what? Does she fall asleep, let go of the breast, or simply stop sucking? Does she ever release the latch on her own? And how are you getting her to nap- are you trying to have her nap solo in a crib? If so, I suggest you adjust your napping technique. New babies prefer to nap on a person- a sling can help with that- or in motion, in which case a swing or stroller can help.

Also, what's your baby's wet and poopy diaper output like? Along as that's okay, you can trust that her milk intake is okay, and that the's nothing wrong with your baby being in the 18th percentile. I honestly would suggest you see another doc- one who pushes you to supplement with formula just because your baby is on the lower half of the weight-for-age chart is relying on the chart as the sole metric of growth and that's not appropriate. A good doc looks at the baby first, and the chart second. There's nothing inherently wrong with being in the 18th percentile- statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the 18th percentile as there are in the 72nd percentile, and just as many in the 1st percentile as there are in the 99th. More than likely there is no need for that formula.

Don't sweat tummy time for an instant. IMO, whoever invented the concept of tummy time obviously thought that mommies didn't have enough to do or stress over, so they created one more thing for busy women to schedule into their days. And about lunch with a friend- do you have a sling? You can pop baby into it and go out ot a restaurant, and keep baby nursing while you eat your meal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the replies!

To answer the question about diapers, before we started giving the nightly bottle of formula she was pooping like a champ! :-) About 8 good sized poops per day. Now that we're giving her this bottle she poops 2-3 times per day and they are either medium or very large amounts.

Both before the formula and now she produces tons of pee diapers. 8-10 per day.

Regarding how she feeds during the day, she latches on, sucks and swallows maybe 3-5 swallows and then pulls herself off the breast and fusses. So then I switch her to the other side where she does the same thing and this just goes on and on.

Regarding napping, she always naps (and sleeps at night) in a bassinet right next to my bed.

I'd love to know if you have a sling recommendation. I got an Ergo recently to go outside for walks to the grocery store etc but I'd love to explore a sling because of the breast feeding possibility while wearing her.

Thanks again for the replies! :-)

It sounds like the baby is getting enough milk soley from your breasts with the amount of diapers she is having. Your supply will drop though if you continue the formula so i would not give anymore of that. Also like mommal said, it is normal to feel empty but still have lots of milk. Your baby is nursing a lot because nursing is not just for food- it is for comfort and relaxation. Wanting to nurse alllll the time is very normal and healthy for that age.
    July 27 2011

It's possible that your flow is slow, and she is impatient; this is common to babies who get bottles, as a bottle is easier to drink from, and they get lazy and impatient. if this is the case, try some breast compressions while nursing to get milk to baby fast.

The flip is also true, in that your flow may be fast, and she is overwhelmed and pulls off. Try nursing laying back if this is the case.

If you really think your supply is low, instead of formula, pump and try sme herbs in addition to nursing. But every single time you give a bottle, you risk a decrease nnsupply if you dont pump.

I think you are probably ok just need a little confidence
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think in my case, my baby pulling away is very likely slow flow / difficulty getting the milk out. So I'll be sure to do more breast compressions.

It's good to know that nursing allllll day can be normal!

I keeping hearing these stories from other new moms who are "drowning" their babies in milk and leaking and overflowing and so forth. And for me it feels so the opposite!! But I guess it's just a different experience but not necessarily something wrong.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Regarding the formula potentially causing a supply drop, I do make sure to pump in place of that feeding so hopefully that helps. I do think it's a good point that the ease of the bottle may be making her impatient at the breast. I will keep this in mind!

It might be easier to take baby to bed and side lay nurse instead of pump Pumping isn't as good as a baby at keeping your supply up.

I would bet money you have enough milk. It comes out at a normal pace. But your baby doesn't like working for it. And it's way easier to fix than when you are drowning your baby.
    Susan