Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a little blood in poop

Default a little blood in poop

hi mamas, my 3.5 month old DD had a few drops of blood and mucous in her poop today, only once so far. She seems her usual happy self otherwise but I'm worried as to what this could be. Something I ate? I had some pizza yesterday, that was, the only unusual thing I ate. Hoping it will go away once it gets out of her system.. Any advice would be great. TIA!

Default Re: a little blood in poop

it could be a food sensitivity (dairy, soy) or it could be a little anal fissure. fissures might be hard to see, but a doctor would be able to diagnose.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Don't worry too much about this! A lot of us have nursed babies through bloody stool issues, and as long as the baby continues to be healthy and happy and growing, it's not something you have to be too freaked out about. If it continues happening, you might want to think about some sort of dietary elimination- dairy would be a good place to start- but it's not mandatory.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A lot of us have nursed babies through bloody stool issues, and as long as the baby continues to be healthy and happy and growing, it's not something you have to be too freaked out about.
    Yes! I should add that my baby also had blood flecks sometimes in her diapers, for several months. And she was always fine, growing very well and happy as a clam. I just remembered that she would have the bloody flecks after her rotavirus vaccines, too (the vaccine gave her diarrhea, and the doc said it was a normal reaction).
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

thank you ladies :-) the specks went away today so all is well and it sounds like a one time thing. Relieved to hear its not something to freak out about!

Glad the specks went away! Don't freak out if you see them again, though- bloody poops can come and go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"