Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Those darn tiny teeth....

Question Those darn tiny teeth....

So I was thrilled when my son sprouted two teeth. But now...I want them to go away.

He has had them for almost a month and has behaved himself ...till about a week ago. At first it was just clamping down at latch and once he was done eating and trying to look around. He still does that but now he also bites down really hard when I'm trying to unlatch. I can tell when he starts comfort nursing so to avoid a nasty bite I would unlatch before. My nipples are really sore. I have yelled out in pain poped his butt (not hard, just enough to get attention) but nothing stops him. What do I do to get the biting under control before his top teeth come in??

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Those darn tiny teeth....

Don't yell because he might find your reaction amusing. Say no firmly, then take it away so that he understands that biting means no more nursing.

Yes, yelling can be a reaction they desire.

The best thing to do if he bites is to take him off, set him down and firmly say, "NO biting."

The other thing you can do is to really watch him. They will start to bite when they get bored or are moving from eating to playing. Sometimes you can start to catch it. So that requires you to be vigilant and pay attention.

http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/ages/...infant/biting/

FWIW, I think the teeth are most sharp when they are first cut. They seem to dull up a bit after sometime. You are right they are tiny and sharp.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My son went through a biting phase too. He found ANY reaction amusing. He'd giggle if I said ow or even "no". I would remove him from the breast calmly as possible, and say "you can't nurse if you're going to bite." if I thought he was still hungry I'd put him back on in 20-30 seconds or so...Now he will only bite if he's teething. I'll treat his pain and give him something else to chew on. Usually if he's given Motrin he won't bite.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I EP, so I am not usually bitten on the breast, but my LO will bite my face I treat that biting the same as I would if baby was biting my breast while nursing. I put baby down and walk away for a few seconds.

From what you describe...it sounds like he doesn't want to stop nursing and is clamping down when you are ending the session. Is that correct? That is different than the typical biting, which happens when baby is bored and playing around at the breast. If so, then ending the session could make it worse. In that case, I would let baby end the session on his terms, not mine, whenever possible.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Exclamation Re: Those darn tiny teeth....

I just was nursing him...after 10min he changed to comfort sucks. I have other children so long 30+min sittings wont work most the time. So once I noticed the change...I tried to unlatched him. (His eyes were closed) He bit down like I was beef jerky! I firmly said no...and tried to get him off but he wouldn't, infact he bit down harder.(eyes still closed) I smooshed him into mybreast like I have read but he didn't let go! At this point I am now frantic and in a lot of pain. I had to grit my teeth and pull him off. I sat him down and firmly said no biting. He screamed and screamed. I hate leaving him to cry so I picked him up and now he is sleeping in my arms.

Someone please help me

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****