Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Morning Feeding (last one) - how to wean?

Default Morning Feeding (last one) - how to wean?

I'm a Mom of a 11 month old who is still breast feeding in the mornings. I have managed well to wean her from all other feedings. I'm just newly pregnant again and really want to stop the morning feeding but not sure how to go about it. She has always eaten the longest at this feeding 15-20 minutes and enjoys it. Obviously between returning to work in a month and being pregnant & tired ...I was hoping someone can offer some suggestions. She WILL NOT drink formula and will only take the occasional 2 - 4 oz of Homo Milk. She eats plenty of other dairy products but isn't fond of milk (at least not yet)!!

Default Re: Morning Feeding (last one) - how to wean?

Gosh, that's a hard one...Does she eat other foods well? Maybe if you tried shaking up the morning routine a little? I'm not sure what you do at first, but maybe try going straight to the high chair and feeding some regular foods? Another option would be to slowly cut down on the length of time you are allowing her to feed, and gradually cut it out altogether.

My son just weaned, and wasn't interested in formula, either, nor homo milk (well, only small amounts of milk). However, once weaned, he really got more interested in milk. Prior to that, I let him have watered down juice, which he loved.

I hope that helps!

Lisa

Wink Re: Morning Feeding (last one) - how to wean?

Thanks Lisa.. I was thinking of both of those ideas especially just reducing the time & then eventually just stop. That's what I did for the bedtime one & it worked out great but Daddy was also reading to her & then putting her to bed so that helps. I will probably go that route for the morning feed and then once I hit a 2-3 minute point I'll just start with the high chair right off the bat..see how that goes! She's an excellent water drinker..not much into juice so I want to make sure she's getting some nutritional value some where. She eats well enough but is very picky.. I have no idea where she gets it from because neither one of us are picky. She's a fruit, startch, cheese, yogurt, some meat.. some veggie eater... I hope she eventually gets away from that.. she won't even try things.... it's a little disheartening sometimes! Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by KBalkwill; November 13th, 2006 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Morning Feeding (last one) - how to wean?

Sounds like you've got a place to start. I wouldn't say your baby is picky. You should see mine! He won't TOUCH a vegetable, nor pasta. Only crackers, some meats, fruit, breads. Ugh. We thought our twins were picky, but they would eat any vegetables at this age. I can only imagine what this one will be like when he hits 3!

Good luck to you. I know that it wasn't that long ago that I was in your shoes, and it seemed like I'd never wean. Now, we're over a week weaned, and doing just fine.

Lisa