Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement with chills now no milk?

Thumbs down Engorgement with chills now no milk?

I am visiting family for Christmas and nursing DD on demand. Everything was going well until Wednesday night. I started feeling tenderness in my right breast in the afternoon and by evening it was super painful and I started getting these horrible chills. Baby wasn't willing to nurse so I pumped and got an ounce. The breast still felt terrible. My DH knew I wasn't feeling well and authorized my parents to feed formula and she had 4 oz. I thought I was going to break sobbing when I heard this because I needed her to nurse. I took her to bed with me and she finally nursed later that night which was very painful but felt better each time she nursed and the chills went away. By morning she had nursed quite a few times on that side and the breast was just a little tender.

Thursday she nursed on that side and the breast stopped being tender altogether. I didn't notice a breast preference though I wasn't timing it or anything.

Yesterday, Friday, she stopped wanting to nurse on this side. She'd latch on and turn away, latch on, suck a few times and turn away. She sucked for quite awhile once and then seemed restless and when I offered the other breast she vigorously ate. And the rest of the day was like this. We were making rounds visiting family and I didn't have a pump handy.

Now this morning, Saturday, I started getting really worried when she refused this breast again so I pumped that side for 25 minutes and got hardly anything

Is it possible I lost all milk in a day? Any suggestions for what I can do. She is sleeping so I just has her dreamfeed that side but she was hardly sucking. I am using a PISA but I have a Symphony at home and we are flying back Monday. The symphony is much better getting milk out but I didn't even get half an ounce from the PISA.

Anyone experienced this? The chills I had with engorgement were awful but since it went away I figured it's not an infection. ( ?)
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Default Re: Engorgement with chills now no milk?

The chills and tenderness were quite probably mastitis, which you managed to treat by getting the baby to nurse, and drain the breast and the infected area. If I'm right, mastitis can definitely affect production, and it's possible that the supply in that breast has dropped due to it not being drained frequently enough. But this should be only temporary, provided you can get your LO to nurse well on that breast. Here's what to do:
    - Offer that breast first at every feeding, as baby may be less choosy when she is hungry
    - Try combining nursing with breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby and make her less fussy in that side
    - If your LO uses a pacifier, take it away right now and let your breast serve as her paci
    - If you have time while visiting family, pump the affected side in addition to nursing. Even if nothing comes out, the additional stimulation may help bring supply back.
    - Do not supplement with formula, as that will definitely lead to reduced milk production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, that sounds like mastitis to me, if only a mild case. I had those horrible chills when I had my bouts of mastitis. If you are having trouble getting milk to come out of the affected breast, you could also try applying wet, warm washcloths to the breast either before or during pumping or breastfeeding. You can also try hand expressing some milk in the shower to get it flowing again. Something about the warmth gets things moving.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Mastitis with a possible deep clog with is inhibiting the milk from flowing, making baby mad etc. Warm compress, massage, sleep and nursing
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mastitis. And with the above. If baby won't nurse, keep pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

And I think mastitis can change the taste of the milk too (milk that has been sitting in an engorged, clogged breast tastes salty). Keep doing everything you can you persuade your baby to nurse that side, and pump if she refuses. I always find massaging and compressing (the massaging may hurt - in which case, that's the right spot) in a hot bath to be helpful to loosen things up - follow that with nursing immediately.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You can try massaging in a hot shower or bath too. That can help.
    July 27 2011

Thanks so much for the replies mamas. I got her to nurse on that side when she was really hungry today and tonite I will do a warm bath and massaging with nursing/pumping. We are out visiting more family and friends today and of course I forgot the pump. Can pump throughout the day tomorrow if necessary.

Boy that mastitis is no joke...

Merry Christmas all
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Another good way to make a hot compress that you can move around with easily is to fill a disposable diaper with HOT water. It makes a good hot compress and stays hot for a long time. Just watch it, because if you put super hot water in the diaper - it will be very hot on your skin. This might be easier than long, hot showers with travel. I hope you feel better soon. Keep draining that breast. You can also try dangle nursing - just in case there's a clog in there that you can't feel. You basically lay your daughter on the ground and hover over her with your breasts "dangling." Lovely image, I know.

Feel better, mama.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!