Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby doesn't want to bf anymore??

Default baby doesn't want to bf anymore??

My 10-week old has been recently forcefully pulling away from my breast during nursing. He nurses for short periods of time and pulls away. Upon attempts to bring him back to the breast, he pulls back in rejection...sometimes crying. I thought that he wasn't getting enough from the preferred breast (which doesn't yield great output), so I switched to the other breast (runneths over), but he rejects that as well. As such, I've started him on the bottle, but I would like to continue breastfeeding. Is this a temporary thing or should I just hang it up and pump into the bottle?

Default Re: baby doesn't want to bf anymore??

No, do NOT do a bottle. That makes this worse. A bottle is easier to feed from, so a baby will sometimes start rejecting a breast. Then you end up pumping, and EPing stinks. It is far, far more work than BFing is!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PP. If you can, take his bottles away for now. Get him to master breastfeeding, get him to love it. When he's decided that breast really is best, then you can work bottles back into your routine.

Please don't take the exclusive pumping route unless you truly have no other choice. It is orders of magnitude more work, and it takes true dedication to EP. Most moms who try it end up giving up within short time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Was this sudden, or did it come on slowly? How has weight gain been, any sudden change in output? Had you introduced a bottle before this? Not sure how you are gaging how fast or slow the flow is from each breast, but that can change over time. Babies are unlikely to forcefully pull off the breast due to a slow flow. However, a too fast flow (forceful letdown) would cause this.

Babies don't prefer bottles and they don't self-wean from the breast at 10 weeks. It simply makes no sense from a biological standpoint, it's against the survival instinct. As for as your baby knows, it's not 2011 but the stone age, and there were no bottles or pumps in the stone age. So babies who refused the breast would be in big trouble. Instinctually, your baby knows this, and will know it unless you teach him otherwise by giving him a bottle. Obviously, if the baby is not getting enough to eat at the breast no matter waht you do, it is important baby be fed somehow. But is he realy not getting enough? Maybe your baby is a snacker and short feedings will give him enough, as long as they are very frequent, until you figure this out.

But for sure, your baby is not rejecting you or your warm breasts or delicious milk in favor of a bottle. Something is bothering him, positioning maybe, or the flow is too fast (maybe too slow but I would guess too fast) or maybe you introduced bottles and your baby is particularly prone to nipple/flow confusion and that started the problem. With some babies just one or two bottles can cause this. Maybe has a cold or earache or a sore in his mouth and taht is causing pain when nursing.

The point is, obviously your baby can nurse. if he nursed at 6 weeks he can nurse at 10. So there is no reason to think you will need to EP and bottle feed, unless something else is going on that you have not mentioned, like it is uncomfortable to nurse or something. There are solutions for that as well, of course, there are solutions for just about everything when it comes to breastfeeding. But sometimes its hard to pinpoint the exact problem.

Definitely read the excellent article linked in pp, and here is one on forceful letdown just to rule that out: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I had overactive letdown. My baby would occasionally get fussy at the breast. He never went on a full blown nursing strike, but he didn't comfort nurse till 8-9 months old. I totally agree with the pp's. I think what saved us is the fact he's not ever had a bottle. If he was unable to nurse or had gone on some kind of extended strike for sure I would have pumped for him. But all he's ever known is the breast so he has never refused for more than a few hours. And I did start taking him off and letting milk spray into a towel to stop him from choking and being upset. Then I'd re-latch him. But I do think if he'd ever had bottles at all, he may have developed bottle preference due to the fact my letdown was choking him there for a while
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I agree with PP re: forceful letdown. I too had that and my DD would fuss at the breast too. I would agree to try and stay away from the bottles as much as possible because your baby will figure things out more easily if there's no bottles to add to the mix. My DD got really efficient at the breast pretty quickly probably partly because she had no other choice. Some of the suggestions in that kelly mom article will be helpful too. If it's the same one i think it is then trying things like letting your milk flow into a burp rag initially until the letdown slows a bit could prove to be helpful. It will get better!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Doh! Didn't read all of PP's response. See? The whole letting milk spray into a towel trick must be a good one since it helped someone else too! :P
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com