Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Temporarily dropping one pump session?

Default Temporarily dropping one pump session?

My DS is 9.5 months old and mostly BF directly, with an occasional bottle of pumped milk from his sitter or dad.

Every night, I pump 3.5-8 ounces to donate to a milk bank. I'm traveling for the next week so I can't store milk for the bank and have no need to feed DS a bottle. If I drop that pump session while I'm away, will I be able to pick it back up when I get home? I want to donate right up to the one year mark, so I don't want my supply to drop below that level.

I've had oversupply and OALD, so I imagine that my supply and demand should be fine. But I figured I'd check with you LLLI ladies to confirm.

Thanks!

Default Re: Temporarily dropping one pump sessio

Maybe, maybe not. IME, it's difficult to work a session back in once you drop it. And you might find that you get little or nothing for your trouble when you do get home and resume pumping. But it never hurts to try, particularly for something this good.

Hand pump maybe on your trip?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

In theory, you should be able to pick that pumping session back up, but it might take quite a bit of work and patience to get your output back to where it was, and in the meantime, you will have to try not to get discouraged. Once your body adjusts to not pumping, it's sometimes hard to convince it to go back!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, you two, for your quick responses. I'm not going to tempt fate, so I'll keep pumping while on vacation and either drink it myself or freeze it for my LO and see if it will transport.

And JoMo - congratulations on the new little one coming your way!!! I just noticed that your sig line has changed. So exciting!!!

If you can keep it cool, you might be able to transport it back home some mama's milk will last a week in the fridge
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Wow, that's just awesome of you!

If you're comfortable with it, perhaps there's someone wherever you 're going who could really use your milk? You could call a local LLL or LC and ask -- or a local midwife, even.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!