Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: could this be compounding our issues?

Red face could this be compounding our issues?

So I was just thinking the other day and thought I would ask..... We have had every problem you could have other than mastitis. I have always had supply issues and take fenugreek and now Dom. My DD is 8 months old and spends 5 min max with multi latches per feeding than refuses. She is very wiggly and impatient when I pump post feeding I get maybe one oz so I think she is getting most of it. Could this fast feeding thing she.has going on be contributing to my low supply? I try supplementing but she refused most times.

Default Re: could this be compounding our issues

Have you ruled out tongue tie? you are describing our pre-cut world exactly, we were just fortunate to have a very experienced nicu nurse notice it early...
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I have seen like 4 lc and it was ruled out.... But one of them did suspect a hidden one. I am not sure how that would work.

Fast feedings are very normal for older babies. They learn how to get their needs met in a short period of time, and don't want to hang out at the breast when they could be doing other things like looking around or trying to suck their own toes or whatever.

Mama, if your baby is refusing supplements and seems satisfied after feedings, what's making you think you have low supply? Is your LO gaining weight appropriately and having an adequate number of wet and poopy diapers?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, some babies are very fast nursers. My son, by maybe 6 weeks old, was taking just one breast and literally nursing for less than 5 minutes. He was gaining well and had great diaper output. I would pump occasionally (thought I was building a stash that I never ended up using because he has never taken bottles at all) and I would get a LOT of milk within a few minutes of pumping. I really think it could just be that I have such a fast letdown he could get enough milk quickly. I have no idea but that's how it's always been. He now takes both sides at 11 months, but still, an entire feeding is rarely longer than 5-7 minutes. He comfort nurses in his sleep a bit longer, but really, unless there is some indication baby is not getting enough, I would not worry about it!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I know its normal for older infants to be quick but the other side of my problem is I know often she wants more.... Sucks and sucks but does not swallow. She gets mad and just turns away. Than latches back on to repeat again. I know when I forget to take fenugreek or Dom. I get a drop. She does not comfort suck and often refuses a bottle. I try out of a cup but it'd hit or miss. I pump once at least when she goes to sleep so she can have it when she wants.
    She is on the small side maybe 18 pounds.... Have a 9 month check up soon. Has 6 wets on good days and 5 or so when I feel like she is not getting full. But they are not as wet. She feeds every 30-1.5 on days she does not seen to be gull and 2 hours otherwise. We never go more than 4 hours at night. Who know it was going to be so difficult. Just want her to get the best