Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can EP give me more freedom?

Default Can EP give me more freedom?

I know this sounds selfish, but I need time away fr my baby and some freedom.
    I have been exclusively BF for a month but am finding myself getting very depressed with the lack of sleep and having my day totally dominated by baby's feeding.

I have exercise addiction and exercising 5 hrs a day ( I know that its bad but I cant stop!) is the only way I can stop myself fr getting depressed. I have stopped taking antidepressants so that I can provide my baby with breastmilk.

I am hoping that EP will allow me to exercise for the 5 hrs yet give baby the breastmilk that she needs. I was thinking of pumping in between my 5 hr exercise.

I feel myself getting more and more depressed everyday now that I cant exercise having to be around to BF baby on demand. At least with EP, my sister and mother can help while I go exercise?

Default Re: Can EP give me more freedom?

No. It will not give your more freedom. Read some of he threads about EPing. It's hard hard work. Also look at infantrisk.com here are safe antidepressants to take while breast feeding. Several moms here breast feed while taking antidepressants.

EPing is harder than BFing. Instead of nursing, you're pumping which you can't do as easily out of the house as you can just pop baby on the breast. It is harder to regulate your supply to meet baby's needs and not to mention all that bottle cleaning! It does get easier as the feedings will space out more as baby grows. You'll hit growth spurts where she'll need to eat more often, but those are usually only for a few days and fairly predictable as when they hit. It's hard right now, but it will get easier.

Have you been cleared by your Dr for that amount of exercise? That is a lot and you are still recovering from birth, be careful mama, you don't want to injure yourself.
    There are a lot of anti-depressants that are compatible with BFing, you should look into some of those. I'm sorry I don't know which ones off hand, but there are a few moms on here who have taken them and continued to BF very successfully. You deserve to feel better and happy. Everyone would benefit from you not feeling depressed.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I think you need to work out a happy medium. A month may seem like a long time but in terms of investment in your child's health it's a very short time. As is the next 2-4 weeks that you will need to continue to be available on demand to get your supply regulated. I think you should look at taking safe antidepressants WHILE exercising but less than 5 hours a day. I started pumping ONE bottle a day at 5 weeks due long naps. And I did it at the same time every day and my DH would take the baby and that bottle and give me 2 hours of freedom every evening. I assure you that I didn't use my 2 hours a day to exercise. I wanted to shower, or nap. Especially when the growth spurts were happening and I knew I was going to be feeding from midnight to 5am. But it was my 2 hours a night to do with what I wanted. Perhaps you can do something similar and workout for 2hours. I caution that trying to fit a newborn into the life you had before is often a recipe for disaster. Your life has to revolve around your baby at this point. Looking to be as productive as you were before, or sleep as much as you did before or get out as much or as often as you did before.....those things aren't usually happening 4 weeks in. You are still working on regulating your milk supply. And seriously the most important job you have right now IS to feed the baby. So focus on that. And let your energy working finding that groove as a dyad. Find compromise. I think 2hours of exercise a day WHILE finding a antidepressant you can safely breastfeed with is a good place to start. Good Luck.

Way too lazy for formula

EP'ing is harder, not easier than breastfeeding. Instead of being tied to your baby, you're tied to your baby AND a pump. It's very difficult.

What will make your life easier is just a few more months of breastfeeding. As babies get older, they space out their nursings more, and things tend to get a bit easier. One month is a hard time for a lot of moms.

From what youv'e said about your depression and issues with exercise, I urge you to talk to your doctor. Five hours a day of exercise just isn't going to work when you have a newborn, but you deserve to get help with your feelings. I took Zoloft for PPD, and this is the most common SSRI prescribed for breastfeeding women. Hopefully it can help you get through this and keep breastfeeding your baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

OMG, don't EP unless you have no other choice... If you are bf'ing well, don't do anything to jeopardize that...

At 4 weeks I imagine you're baby's still mostly sleeping, at least mine was. You should have lots of time to exercise during that provided you get enough sleep. Please don't think the EPing will let you sleep through the night. Your baby will still get up to feed (mine does twice a night at 15 months old) and in order to keep your supply up you will have to get up in the middle of the night and pump. I did until 9 months old when I started letting myself go for 6 hours overnight, now I can go 8-10 overnight and still give her 20 ounces a day, but I would never have kept up during the 32-40 ounce days... SO EP DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANY MORE SLEEP!

Pumping for a 4-week old will take about 4-6 hours a day in addition to the time spent feeding the baby. You will be able to hand the baby off for the actual giving of the bottle, but you will be spending all of that time attached to a pump anyway. And there will be massive amounts of dishwashing pump parts and bottles to feed your little one. SO EP DOES NOT GIVE YOU MORE TIME!

When you do decide you want to get some fresh air, go shopping, do something fun with your cute little bundle, you can't if you EP. You have 2 choices - stay home because you have to pump or get very used to pumping in a car. That might work for a bit, but I for one can't get enough milk pumping that way and as I'm sure others here will tell you, it's no fun if your baby isn't sleeping when you're in that parking lot. Mine doesn't like to be in the car seat for more than 30 seconds if the car's not moving. In the beginning I could run out to the car when I was doing errands and let her catch a nap while I pumped. Now I'd give anything to just be able to pick up and go with a blanket to throw over her and nurse in public all day long.

I had to pump colostrum and milk for my daughter the first 4 days because she couldn't get it out. I kept her at the breast with feeding tubes and everything in the beginning. If I could go back and slap that bottle out of my overwhelmed, sleep-deprived hand at 4 days, I would absolutely do it.
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

You can definitely find an antidepressant compatible with breastfeeding. I EPed with DS1, and nursed DS2, and nursing was WAY easier, and gave me way more freedom. As far as the exercise, what do you do? I run a lot, so I bought a jogging stroller and brought baby out with me. It sounds like you should talk to your doctor about the exercise issue and getting on an antidepressant. Keep in mind that no matter what kind of feeding you choose, babies are demanding and need mommy. It's something that all new mothers have to adjust to. Good luck.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

NO, EPing does NOT give you more freedom. It is more restrictive than nursing.

To start, you will be doing NOTHING other than pumping, then feeding baby, around the clock for some months. You have to do that to establish a supply. That was way, way harder than BFing ever is. You MUST pump every 2 hours around the clock at first for like 3 months, then feed baby. Ad each pumping session takes 15-30 minutes. It sucks up so much of my day. I don't have time to exercise. I hardly had time to eat. It was terrible. I would have given anything to be able to nurse my fourth child, but he was physically unable to nurse.

A month in...you haven't gotten to the good part of BFing. Don't give up.

I HATE EPing. I have done it for 11 months, 11 months of arranging my life around this pump. It stinks. Don't do it.

Has your doctor said you can start exercising? Too much too soon will make you bleed longer and heavier.

There are ways to combine BFing and exercise. You may not be able to hit the gym for 5 straight hours, but you could put baby in a carrier and walk, stopping when baby needs to eat.

There are antidepressants compatible with BFing as well. Many moms here have taken Zoloft.

I get exercise addiction, but something that takes up that much of your time isn't really compatible with motherhood i general. Your baby needs YOU, not your mother, not your sister. Have you ever thought about seeing someone about treatment? I mean this in the nicest possible way. It's just I know some kids who have a mom who spends all day at the gym, and they feel like she doesn't love them because of it
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yeah that is why I am talking about compromise. 5hours of exercise probably won't be possible at all this first year. But the running with the stroller is a good idea! That in combo with one pumped bottle of day could give her more than 2hours of exercise and that would be huge.

Way too lazy for formula

And that would be totally reasonable. And do-able.

I wish this mama could follow me around for a day.

Oops, gotta go, baby is about to yank over the pump and just unplugged the tubes
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!