Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking fenugreek seeds?

Default Taking fenugreek seeds?

Are there any moms out there who have taken fenugreek seed by the spoon-full rather than the pills? My friend swears by it but I don't want to overdose. Any dosing suggestions? My son was a preemie so I never breastfed. Have been pumping for 3+months now and the supply is dwindling. Very distressing..

Thanks!!

Default Re: Taking fenugreek seeds?

Yes, I have done it that way and I found the seed to be much more effective than the pills, which makes sense when you think how long that ground-up seed has been sitting in those pills... Start by taking a teaspoon-ful per day. You can put it in a cup, pour hot water over it, let it steep for a a few minutes, drink the tea, and then swallow the seeds. They'll be softened and easy to chew. If your sweat and urine start smelling like maple syrup, you're taking enough. If not, increase the dose by a teaspoon until they do. And don't worry too much about overdosing. Fenugreek is a commonly used herb in many world cuisines, and is quite safe unless you are a diabetic (fenugreek has been associated with lowered blood sugar levels).

Exclusive pumping is a challenge, but we may be able to help you troubleshoot. Can you tell us about your pumping routine, what sort of pump you're using, and what sort of output you're getting? Maybe we can find a way to help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good deal, thanks very much for the advice!
    I use medela swing and pump every 3 hrs. Or have been for the past week. I let it slide to 4.5-5 hrs when I went back to work which is why the supply dropped (I used to produce plenty). Now I make 45-65mls every 3 hrs. My son likes the idea of being at the breast and even latches on with a nipple shield but he is so used to fast flow, he gets frustrated after a few minutes and gets fussy when he is being made to work for his food. He is over 11lbs now though so I'm starting to consider being more limiting with his food intake so he'd take to the breast more but since we went through a huge ordeal getting him to gain weight (he was born at 3.2lbs) it's against my instinct. Also there's the fact that he eats 100-150mls per meal so what I produce isn't nearly enough. We've been adding formula to his milk since back when he was at NICU so he'd gain faster and now we're running on frozen backlog of milk. But that's about to run out. I'd love it if he started to breastfeed. Anyways, much thanks. I'll try the fenugreek seed.

I am willing to bet that those skipped pumping sessions are catching up with you. So add in as many additional sessions as you can! The other thing that probably isn't helping is your pump. The Swing is a decent pump for a nursing mom with a great supply who only needs to pump part-time. It is not a good pump for a mom who is exclusively pumping. You would probably benefit a lot from upgrading to a Pump in Style at least, and preferably to a hospital-grade rental pump like a Lactina.

This link may help you get baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"