Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I storing the right mix of milk?

Default Am I storing the right mix of milk?

Dear ladies I need some advice here.

I dun know if I'm simply just storing foremilk for my newborn.
    I have oversupply so I pump out alot of milk before each feed and I store that milk. is that purely foremilk? Shld I just throw this milk away instead of storing it?

Default Re: Am I storing the right mix of milk?

No, definitely don't throw the milk away! There's no such thing as milk that is "just foremilk". The first milk to come out of the breast is refreshing, low in fat, and high in lactose (milk sugar). As the feeding or pumping session progresses, the milk gradually changes composition, becoming increasingly rich in fat. The key word being GRADUALLY!

If you have a particularly abundant supply, the milk you pump may be a bit lower in fat than if your supply was a little more closely matched to your baby's needs. But lower in fat doesn't mean no fat, and it's certainly not bad for the baby. It might make him a little gassier than average, but that's not a big problem in the grand scheme of things.

How old is your baby, and may I ask why you are pumping for a newborn? Generally moms are not advised to introduce pumping into the mix until they and their babies have mastered breastfeeding. It's really easy to pump yourself into an oversupply situation, and that can take time to remedy, and you don't want to introduce a bottle before 4-6 weeks unless the baby will not nurse and there is no other way to feed him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply.
    I was advised to pump after each feed as I have engorged breasts so as to clear the ducts.
    My baby is now 4 weeks old and I have been purely breastfeeding her. I think I have oversupply as she feeds every 1.5hrs, my breasts are still full after each feed and get engorged and painful within an hour after feeding. So I pump to clear the ducts and relieve engorgement.

Now I try to pump before each feed so as to soften the breast, about 50ml. I store this milk, but I am wondering if I feed her this milk next time...wouldn't she be drinking the wrong consistency of milk?

oh I am so confused what to do.

You are causing an oversupply by doing that.

And no, you can store it. And it might have slightly less fat, but it's OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Bad advice from whoever told you to pump after nursing. That's worsening your oversupply, not curing it. When you have oversupply, you want to stay away from the pump and put up with the fullness/engorgement as much as possible. Eventually your body will detect the excess milk that is left after your baby feeds, and will reduce supply. If cutting out the pumping doesn't reduce supply fast enough, let us know, and we will give you other techniques for reducing supply to a more manageable level. But start by putting the pump down!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"