Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBF 15 month old

Default EBF 15 month old

My night woes have not improved and DH is now on holiday break, so I'm at the time when I wanted to attempt partially night weaning DD. Unfortunately, there's a kink in my plan: DD had an icky bug earlier this week which resulted in a lot of vomiting. For the last 4 days, she's basically been consuming nothing but breastmilk. She might have a couple sips of water, but she's refusing all solids, even soft things she usually enjoys like yogurt and oatmeal. She's been peeing less, but still within normal range (I think), and her poops are liquidy again. She's been nursing non-stop. Last night it was every 30 minutes-2 hours, and it's been 1-2 hours during the day. So I have a couple questions:

1) How long can an active toddler subsist on only BM? She's got tons of energy and seems to be over her sickness, but still seems uninterested in eating. I worry my supply is not adequate to be EBF at this point, which is maybe why she's wanting to nurse so much.

2) Is this a terrible time to attempt partial night weaning? I'm talking like 3-5 hours here, using Jay Gordon's method. Should I wait until she's eating more solids again so I'm sure she's getting enough calories? I wanted to do it while DH is home in case I need extra help during the day because I'm exhausted or in settling DD at night

3) DD is going back and forth between the big bed and the side car at night. I want to put the side on the crib and push it away from the bed. I'd still have DD in the bed for part of the night, but I want her to start getting accustomed to sleeping without me (she does fine napping w/out me.) Again, is this a terrible time? I was thinking I'd do the crib thing for a few nights before I attempt the partial night weaning, to get her used to it and see if maybe sleeping alone takes her mind off of nursing anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Default Re: EBF 15 month old

At 15 months, a kid is probably just fine on breastmilk alone, at least for a while. My first was pretty much EBF at 15 months because she still was uninterested in solids, and she was HUGE. It's possible that your LO is just going through a typical toddler food jag, and that at this point she's just preferring your milk to solids, and isn't EBF due to illness.

If your LO is really all recovered from her illness, then I say go ahead and try night-weaning! But I'd want to be really sure that she's all better.

As for removing her from your bed, again, go ahead and try! But don't raise your expectations too high. She may be ready to sleep without you, she may not. But you don't know unless you try.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter was about that age when she got a nasty UTI. She basically only took in breastmilk for about 3 weeks. Her poops went back to being that yellow color, as you mentioned. She was fine. It was really good she was nursing. I think the breastmilk kept her hydrated and gave her plenty of good nutrients. If she had gone that long without wanting to drink or eat food, I'm fairly certain she would have ended up needing IV fluids in a hospital setting.

Good luck with the night weaning. Mine sometimes sleeps, but she's usually still up at least once wanting to nurse. She's 22 months. It's both and

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks for the reassurance. DD ate a couple bites yesterday, and hopefully the Christmas feasting will entice her from her fast. She still seems energetic and healthy, so I guess she's fine.

I'm not sure if she's quite ready to be moved away from the big bed at night though. Last night was awful. Every time I tried to set her into her crib, she would wake up and start crying. Somehow she seemed to know where she was being laid while fast asleep. I nursed, I rocked, we walked, she would finally doze off and then, in a moment, all hell would break loose. Finally, after a bout of literal screaming which broke my heart, she ended up back in our bed. I don't know if I should stick to it or just give up and try again in a couple months. It's all so complicated and DH doesn't seem to understand why it's hard on me having a toddler attached to me half the night. It took me months to get used to sleeping in the same bed as another adult, and he wasn't even waking me looking for a late-night snack every hour. I feel so close to the end of my rope and DH calmly says, "well, you just have to be patient with her."
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I just (last week) went through a very similar thing with my 14.5 month old. She had a horribly stuffy cold and wouldn't touch her solids for days. The worst night she wouldn't sleep anywhere but on my nursing. She would scream bloody murder if I put her down even right in bed with us. Before this she had been doing really well with solids and waking only every 3-4 hours at night to nurse and then she'd settle right back down in her sidcared crib.

We slept badly for a week, but I kept telling myself that when she was 100% better she would eat better and get back to her normal sleep patterns as opposed to waking every 1-2 hours at night. The past couple of nights she has been getting back to her normal routine and doesn't fuss when I lay her back in her sidecar crib.

Don't know if our experience will help you at all, but there are some similarities. Maybe once things have returned to your status quo you can try to have your DH help? That next on our to-do list to cut back on the night nursing even more... it is SO complicated...

Hannah, my daughter started her nighttime struggles again last night and again tonight. If she wakes up after I take her off the breast (after she has fallen asleep) she screams bloody murder and throws a fit. And the only reason I take her off the breast after she falls asleep is because she has been known to bite if she gets startled while sleeping...the dog barks, the cats cause trouble....etc.
    Basically at this point it takes me at least an hour to swing her, bounce her and then finally place her in her crib and run her back until she falls asleep. I am not trying to sound selfish but after she goes to bed is the only time I get to myself and her bedtime keeps getting later every night. My goal bedtime for her is 10pm since my husband often gets home from work late and would like to see her before she goes to bed. With the late bedtime though..my daughter sleeps until 8:30-9:30am every day. I try to keep the wake time consistent hoping that if she is tired enough she will go to bed earlier...so far, no luck. Tonight I got her upstairs around 10-10:30 but after rubbing her back until she fell asleep...it was almost midnight before I was able to walk out of her room and go downstairs. I really need to get her bedtime back to 10pm...any suggestions? Like you, my DH does not seem to have any sympathy. I had a fussy baby all day (molars and interruptions during her nap time) and needed my night break. On a positive note, I am hoping that all of the wonderful mommy's in this forum have been having a wonderful holiday.