Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help, foremilk/hindmilk imbalnce?

Default help, foremilk/hindmilk imbalnce?

So, I am need of advice. I think that I may have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, or an oversupply/ forceful let down. My son is 3 months, and has some of the behaviors I read about indicating the above problem. I read that it is best to feed with only one breast per feeding, and also to position him where I am reclining, but I am already doing this, and have been since he was about a week old due a large milk supply. Any suggestions on what I can do to help my baby be more comfortable during and after feedings? I also read to feed him every two hours and use the same side for two feeds then switch to the other. If I do this is it going to increase my milk supply?

Default Re: help, foremilk/hindmilk imbalnce?

The foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is a myth. It is due to oversupply, plain and simple. You simply have a lot of milk, and baby may fill up before getting a lot of the fats that come off the duct walls later in the feeding, which is the cause of so-called excessive foremilk problems. And block feeding helps control an oversupply, get your baby more fatty milk, and helps even things out. The fullness of the breast you are not using signals the breast to slow production, which, if you have an OS, is necessary.

Block length depends on the size of your OS Some moms need blocks of 6-8 hours. 2 feedings never got me anywhere with block feeding, but it's a place to start.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: help, foremilk/hindmilk imbalnce?

Thanks for the advice. One of the things that has been so confusing to me is that my breasts don't feel super full the way they did up until my son was about 6 wks old. However, at times after let down my breast will suddenly feel much more full and firm. My LO rarely nurses for more than 5 min on one side which is one of the several behaviors that indicates OS. I also get nervous about loosing my supply. Nursing is confusing sometimes, but I love it, and I want my little guy to love it too!