Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Child Breastfeeding exp...

Default 2nd Child Breastfeeding exp...

I am not sure where to post this, but I was just wondering if second child breastfeeding after succesfully breastfeeding the first is the norm, or does it just depend, like everything else :-). I was also curious if you have more milk since your body maybe "knows" what to do now, or if your milk was about the same or even less? I asked my Doctor and she said that almost always a mom who has breastfed her first baby can feed her second one as well. I tend to go with what you ladies have experienced and seen, so I just wanted your take. Oh, and I am not pregnant, but I do want a second baby, but not for a while :-). Anyway, thanks!

Default Re: 2nd Child Breastfeeding exp...

Many moms find the second baby to be easier. They know how to fix some of the issues, and more importantly, they know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and don't freak out as much about things.

It is not always easier to nurse a second or subsequent baby, in that sometimes issues you didn't have the first time come up, or the baby has a problem your first didn't (tongue tie, for example). But you know how to deal with it better, usually.

And yes, many moms have more milk the second time around. It may come in sooner as well. It all depends on now well baby is nursing.

Often a mother knows to rest more too, which I think makes a big difference I took a fabulous babymoon after my second's birth, and it was a thing of great beauty.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hm, what I noticed was that my milk came in faster the second time, but not with any appreciable difference in quantity. I still had OS and OALD. And both babies were tongue-tied. The difference really was in having learned the first time how to overcome some of the stumbling blocks.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

For me, nursing my second was so much easier. Part of this was that DD was a much easier going infant than DS, but mainly because I was more experienced. I knew what a proper latch felt like, and avoided sore nipples because of this. I also knew that I was prone to severe OS/OALD, so instead of following the typical advice on ways to boost supply early on, I started block feeding right away. Also, because of my previous OS/OALD I didn't go through all the paranoia of, "is baby getting enough?"

DD2 was much easier than DD1. Mostly because I had a clue the second time around. The 'been there, done that' knowledge base is so helpful. Not just breastfeeding, with baby in general. I knew which clothes, how to diaper, bathing, holding, what types of fussing there is, etc. There was no trial and error because we had already done that. The whole experience was MUCH less stressful and MUCH more efficient. Breastfeeding just fell in line.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Nursing the second baby was way easier for me than nursing the first. I had a nightmare experience with my first daughter, and pretty much a perfect experience with my second, except for an oversupply problem that took some time to manage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had a much easier time in the beginning with #2. Because I knew what to look for what to do...Like I started to get sore and realized right away I had to make sure his latch and position were correct. It's easy after BFing for 3 years to forget HOW to nurse a newborn. They need more help latching on properly. I was able to correct the problem easily before I was cracked and sore.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I agree with PPs. Starting the 2nd time felt like jumping on a bike after a while. However, it had been 6 years since I had nursed a baby, so some of the other stuff still feels like the first time. I had forgotten what it was like to wake up all night. And, since I have kid#1 here, she demands attention too - so just disappearing into a room with DS isn't so easy when I'm home alone with both kids.

It didn't "hurt" as long this time. And my milk came in a lot faster.

Good luck!!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Nursing my second one was better experience than first baby. I avoided Thrush and knew what I was doing.Hope you also have similar experience

Thanks
    Mangai

Thanks for your responses everyone, I have really been enjoying reading them. Looking back on my own exp. I "thought" I had a problem or a potential problem, but I am not sure if I ever really did. I think because I never really leaked except in the mornings in the early beginning, and I was never that full, and I wondered if my let down was slow (I think only after a months, may that is normal) that if I was indeed was having a problem with latch that my milk would start to go away since I didn't have OS. This may be naive of me, but it would almost seem to be a blessing to know that even if your latch was shallow, you knew you would still have enough milk. I have a friend who has big OS issue and soaks through nursing pads who told me her baby clicked all during nursing till he was about 6 months, she said she just put on headphones when he would nurse. Next time I don't think I am going to introduce a paci, because I have read that can mess a latch up. I have to say that thus far, nursing has been my favorite part of being a mom, I just love it.