Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Relactating to Milk Imbalance!

Default Re: From Relactating to Milk Imbalance!

Yes, teething can start at 3 months, though you may not actually see a tooth for months and months.

Expressing to stop leaking isn't a good idea, if you have oversupply. It will just encourage your body to make more, and therefore for it to leak more. Better to put up with it, and wear some breast pads to absorb and a patterned shirt to hide the leaks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, honestly nursing 45 minutes per side does not sound like OS to me. My son would get lots of milk in 3-4 minutes and be full. Also they tend to comfort nurse less with OS because the milk flow is generally fast and can annoy them. Dylan didn't comfort nurse much till 9ish months.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Well he does pop on and off a lot at the beginning and I've heard a gulp her and there, which is where I got the idea of OS.. and the timed switching of sides is where I though possibly milk imbalance. I guess I just had it so imbedded in my mind that a feeding should take 30 minutes tops, which is probably why we've got the green poop. I've been feeding him one side at a time and it's been taking 35-45 minutes for that one side. Still some watery poop but it's a little more yellow. I just fed him on both sides just a little while ago as he seemed hungry still. Also he's not pooping immediately after eating like he was before. Hopefully we're coming to an upswing with all this! All in time for my church to ask us if we could be a part of their live Nativity scene this Saturday! Baby Jesus may have some gas..
    Last edited by @llli*NatGA915; December 22nd, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Yeah, popping on and off and gulping can be a sign on oversupply or a fast letdown, but it can also be normal. Milk comes out fastest at the beginning of a feeding, and all babies will gulp during this time. Some pop on and off, as a way to control the flow and keep themselves from being overwhelmed. These things can happen even when a mom has normal supply, which is why we're recommending caution in this instance.

You don't want to clock-watch. Babies' feeding times vary a lot. Some babies get full meals in 5-10 minutes at the breast, others take closer to an hour.

Good luck at the Nativity scene!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just wanted to give an update now that the holidays are over and things are back to normal. I never did figure out what was the cause for the watery, green poo. I took LO to the doctor for a weight check and he had lost 9 ounces which broke my heart to pieces! They had me take samples of his stool to see if they were any infection that could be causing the poo and weight loss but everything came back fine (thank goodness!). So they chalked it up to a tummy bug and scheduled another weight check the following week. He's gaining again, but he lost his chubbiness now that he's getting bigger so he looks leaner. I never really did the block-feeding and I stopped timing feedings alltogether.. Odd thing is now I seem to be making too little milk now as LO is getting upset and still hungry after feeding. This has just happened in the last 24 hours though. On to another board!