Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping through night = decrease in milk?

Unhappy Baby sleeping through night = decrease in milk?

Hello everyone. This is the first time I have ever been to this site. I am in desperate need of information. I have a 1 1/2 year old (Christian) and a 5 month old (Julian). Christian was never breast fed, he didnt seem to take to it and I ended up getting post partum depression and was put on meds for 3 months... But Julian is breast fed exclusively. Things were going great till here recently. He has learned to sleep through the night all on his own. He goes to bed around 9:30 p.m. and wakes up between 5:30 and 7:00 a.m. ready to eat. I dont know how he learned to do this but he did. And he doesnt sleep during the day, he doesnt like to, at all. So obviously he eats more frequently because he isnt sleeping. I have noticed that my milk supply isnt as great as it used to be. Now, I think its because he sleeps through the night and doesnt sleep during the day so he isnt giving it time to replenish. But I have been stressed here a lot lately and I have heard that stress decreases the supply too... It is very discouraging. I am drinking so much water I want to throw up in order to try and increase it and he nurses all the time it feels like. What do I do??? He gets so fussy because hes hungry and I am tapped out in the milk department. Has anyone else ever had this problem before?? What did you do? My mom keeps telling me to supplement with formula, but I dont know what is the best thing. Not to mention he hates formula and does not like the bottle at all, or a sippy cup... I love breastfeeding and would rather not stop if at all possible but I dont know how to make enough milk... I am in desperate need of answers!! Please help if you can.
    Also, when did any of you start giving baby food and rice cereal and juice? Things are so different now between my first and second child. My first was eating bb food at 4 months... But I have heard not to give it to breastfed infants until later... what is best?

Default Re: Baby sleeping through night = decrease in milk?

I wouldn't worry about him sleeping through the night. Enjoy that while you can cause it might end at anytime. Both my first and second child were ebf for about 4 months. However they both were sleeping through the night before they were a month old. I just went with the flow with them. However has your experiencing they nurse more often during the daytime. That's perfectly normal. You didn't mention how long this has been happening. I'm assuming all that long. I noticed when dear children started sleeping through the night it took abit longer for daytime supply to accomidate to new needs. I think it was around 4-5 days to see improvement. Don't worry about bm replenishing it's always doing that even while you are nursing it'll replenish it's self. If you want to continue ebf I say do it. Just go with ds hunger cues, milk supply will soon accomidate to the new schedule. You will definately feel full first thing in the morning, or at least I always did. If you read post on this forum, just drink to thirst no need to drink so much. If you feel like taking pills to help try fenugreek and blessed thistle it can help some mothers, or there is also oatmeal, doesn't help me though. Some claim mothers milk also. I did the fengreek and blessed thistle it helped me. About feeding solids I was most recently told that around six months you can attempt to introduce it if ds shows signs that he's interested in it. Well I hope I help you some. Let me know how things go with everything.

Default Re: Baby sleeping through night = decrease in milk?

Hi Jenna,
    I'm glad you found us and decided to post. Try not to get too worried! Baby sleeping through the night isn't going to affect your daytime supply. Your milk supply will only decrease during the times that baby isn't nursing very often. And you never run out of breastmilk -- your body is continuously making it.

How often during the day does he nurse? About how many wet diapers per day is he having?

There's no need to water log yourself. Drink to thirst. There's no evidence suggesting that nursing mom's need huge amounts of water and in fact, too much water can actually adversly affect your supply. Baby could be going through a growth spurt which is causing him to want to nurse more often. He's instinctively telling your body to make more milk for him. And as long as you allow him to nurse on demand then your body will respond with an increase in milk supply.

The only true test of low milk supply in mom is if baby stops gaining (or begins losing) weight. Have you had his weight checked regularly? His wet diaper output can help you determine whether he's getting enough though.

There's no reason for you to stop nursing though! You're doing a good job -- keep it up and nurse baby as he needs to nurse.

As for when to start baby food, rice cereal and juice -- the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6 months of life. This means that at sometime in the second 6 months of baby's life, he may be read to try out some solid foods. Juice is unnecessary though. Breastmilk should make up the vast majority of baby's diet for the first full year of life. Any foods other than breastmilk or formula in the first year of life are simply for baby's experimentation. And you should always nurse baby before offering a few teaspoons of solids

HTH!

Smile Re: Baby sleeping through night = decrease in milk?

Thank you for the advice! And things are much better now! I tried the fenugreek and its working great and my milk has caught up with his demand so things are awesome now! He goes to the doctor at the end of the month so we will see how much weight he's gained since the middle of the beginning of February. Thanks again for the advice!

He's still sleeping through the night, when I go in and check on him if he's sucking his fingers I might get him and feed him but other than that things are great.