Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guess I'll start this here party... :P

Default Re: Guess I'll start this here party... :P

As you can see from my sig ticker, I am nursing a 3 year old. He was 3 in Sept. and I cannot imagine him stopping any time soon.

Erin

I am long term breastfeeding mother too and believe in natural weaning, but I just wanted to point out to any new moms visiting this site that most moms don't set out with a goal to breastfeed for x number of years, it just happens, and that in LLL there is no competition to breastfeed the longest!

Hi! my name is Hannah. I have an 11 month old daughter named Kaia. Breastfeeding was a huge struggle for us, so my first goal was six months...when we finally reached that I realized it was getting easier! So my next goal was 1 year; well we are almost there and I see no signs of us stopping any time soon. I have absolutely no problem with nursing her as long as she wants! I'm glad to be here with all you inspiring moms!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swirlingthrough
    I am long term breastfeeding mother too and believe in natural weaning, but I just wanted to point out to any new moms visiting this site that most moms don't set out with a goal to breastfeed for x number of years, it just happens, and that in LLL there is no competition to breastfeed the longest!
    A very valid point to make indeed

I am new her, but not LLL or nursing I have a 17yo, 15yo, 2 yo and 6 mo. (All boys)My 2 yo and 6 mo are happily nursing. My 17yo weaned at 2 and my 15yo weaned at 13months.

Quote Originally Posted by mmitchell
    Hi Again,

I have a question. It seems like there are a lot of you here have had children who have weaned. What are the signs? I feel like my 13 mo. old is nursing less and not as long. He still nurses to go to sleep though. And he still wakes a few times a night. The bink never soothes him back to sleep, it has to be momma's milk. Any have any thoughts?

Melissa
    Some babies nurse just as much as newborns in the second year of life and others hold on to just a few nursings. This doesn't mean they will wean right away.

My daughter who weaned at close to 6 years was nursing twice a day from 3-5 years and then it was very sporatic until one day she was just done.

Hi everyone,

There is something that has been troubling me since this morning when I brought my little one to the PD for her jab.

The PD, she was mentioning that breastfeeding beyond the age of one is not really the best option, as iron is lacking in breastmilk. That disturbed me quite a great deal as I have always believed that breastmilk, is the BEST milk for any child. Besides, I have had a very hard time starting out establishing my milk supply, and thus, I am not giving it up just like that!

It is true that after 6 months of age, we have to start our babies on other sources of iron-rich food besides breastmilk, and I believe that with proper meal planning, they can get enough of iron, well not only iron, but other sources of vitamins the body needs right?

Anyway, I just wanna be sure that Lia and I, we're on the right tracks still...

I don't blame the PD though, she must have her reasons for saying those to me...

Talking Re: Guess I'll start this here party... :P

Hi!

I'm Angie, mum to 22 month old Tyler, who is still very much a booby boy, and i am due to give birth to our new baby in a few weeks time

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Hi everyone,

There is something that has been troubling me since this morning when I brought my little one to the PD for her jab.

The PD, she was mentioning that breastfeeding beyond the age of one is not really the best option, as iron is lacking in breastmilk. That disturbed me quite a great deal as I have always believed that breastmilk, is the BEST milk for any child. Besides, I have had a very hard time starting out establishing my milk supply, and thus, I am not giving it up just like that!

It is true that after 6 months of age, we have to start our babies on other sources of iron-rich food besides breastmilk, and I believe that with proper meal planning, they can get enough of iron, well not only iron, but other sources of vitamins the body needs right?

Anyway, I just wanna be sure that Lia and I, we're on the right tracks still...

I don't blame the PD though, she must have her reasons for saying those to me...
    Hi Gene,
    there is a lot of misconception about iron levels unfortunately. Breastmilk is low in iron, but high in vitamin C and therefore all the iron in breastmilk is readily absorbed. Studies have shown that exclusively breastfed babies have higher iron levels then those started on solids and or supplements early, so yes you are quite right that mother's milk is adequate for the vast majority of b/f babies. Exception would be preterm or ill babies who may need extra vits.

You may find these links helpful.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

This link is a non LLL resource but very informative!

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Anaemia is uncommon in the breastfed baby. As Doris says, although the amount of iron in breast milk is small, it is well absorbed-between 20 and 40%, as opposed to only 4 % absorbed from iron-fortified formula. The high lactose and vitamin C levels in breast milk aid in the absorption of iron.