Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you only nurse one side?!?

Smile Can you only nurse one side?!?

Our son will be a year in a couple weeks...he loves to nurse and I am not ready to stop nursing him yet, but i have had terrible trouble with my left nipple getting thrush since he was eight months old. I get it on both sides but the left side burn and itches worse and gets it more often. It gets so bad...It comes and goes. I fight it with g entian violet and the all purpose nipple ointment. My question is- is it possible to wean him from one side and let that side dry up and only nurse hime on the right side? Or is that a bad idea? Any ideas why the reappearing thrush? It gets so bad sometimes...but thankfully I have been able to push through it! He has never had symptoms of thrush. Anyway we love our precious little man and want what is best for him...he loves nursing!

Default Re: Can you only nurse one side?!?

Have you tried proabotic? (SP ) I have found that treating me and ds on a daily basis was a great way to prevent thrush? My cousin only nursed from one side, ( her baby had a fav) I do not know if that is a good idea and what the repercussions can be? But hey, it worked for her?

Another website I visit has a very successful one-sider. Here's an extract from something she wrote:

Now the poster has read the extract - I've edited it out. Sorry, if that seems weird but I don't feel it's my story to leave here for all time!

She's now still feeding happily past 2 years old on one side.
    It can definitely be done.
    Last edited by sam'smum; February 8th, 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Richlyblessed,
    You must be tired of dealing with persistent thrush! The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible to nurse on one side only.
    I was wondering, though, if there might be something in your treatment that could be altered so that you didn't have to resort to one-sided nursing.
    Is everyone in your house being treated for thrush? If thrush continues to recur after mother and baby have had two full courses of treatments, all members of the family may need to be treated simultaneously.
    This LLLI FAQ located at http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html has information that may help you with your situation.
    Here is another source (non-LLL) that might help.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
    Keep us posted!

Mary

I have heard of proabotic...what is it and where can I find it?
    Thank you!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for your help and encouragement, Sam'smum! Thank you for sharing the story.

My skin breaks down very easy...dish soap tears my hands up terrible...and so on. After our son was born my nipples were cracked and bled for around 8 weeks...it was very very painful but thankfully they healed up. Then when he was around 8 months my nipples started cracking again and for six weeks I struggled through nursing him not knowing why I was in so much pain and my nipples burned so bad and would get so hard. After talking to the local LLL leader I found out that I had thrush and she helped me so much. I was fairly new to the area and did not have a doc. so she helped me find one because at that point it was so bad I needed an antifungal. So I was on that and using the all purpose nipple ointment and finally got it to clear up after coming down with a high fever...mastitis...and spending a week in bed! Since then the thrush has come back 3 or 4 times and lingers. And will eventually clear up. My mom wondered if because of my skin cracking so easy and because our precious son is such an aggressive nurser if once my nipples crack the yeast gets in and grows. Does that make sense?! our son has never had any signs what so ever of having thrush.
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
    Last edited by Richlyblessed; February 8th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

I just thought I would share this inspiring story of a mum who managed to nurse twins on just one breast.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...st-enough.html

So yes it can def be done!

You have not had an easy time of it have you and you have done so well for perservering.
    Damage to nipples does make thrush more likely to occurr unfortunately.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

Proabotics, you can get them at Earth Fare, whole foods ect... A health food shop. Mine have to be refrigerated and they wk great!

Just to clarify on that -- they're probiotics. Acidophilus is a probiotic -- relatively inexpensive and highly effective

The link that LLLMaryP posted above to the Kellymom.come site has lots of useful information on probiotics/acidophilus, including recommended dosages when treating thrush and for everyday daily use.

Thank you for the encouragement! The thrush on my left side has totally cleared up! So I am going to keep at it nursing both sides...but there is little hard white pimple like thing under the skin on the tip of my nipple. It hurt and burns after I nurse...could it be a milk blister?

Richlyblessed,
    Keep treating your thrush for 2 more weeks! I honestly believe that this was key in clearing up our thrush after battling it for nearly a year

Also, yes it sounds like a milk blister -- I've had those before, YOWCH! They hurt! The non-LLL approved Kellymom.com site has good info on treating milk blisters/nipple blebs. You should be able to find that information easily enough by using her search function

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better!