Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about supply and side-lying

Default Question about supply and side-lying

I have a really stupid question, but here it is: as far as I understand block-feeding (feeding on the same side for prolong periods of time) will decrease supply, which is why it's the method of choice when dealing with over-supply.

When I use side-lying in bed, I usually spend at least an hour (or more) on the same side (because it's wee hours in the morning and I'm asleep).

Could this cause my supply to diminish (I don't have an oversupply)? Am I doing side-lying incorrectly by not switching more often (in which case I should probably stay awake)?

Default Re: Question about supply and side-lying

IMO, if you notice any difference in your supply, maybe you should make an effort to do something about it. Otherwise, enjoy you time sleeping. I doubt just having this happen at night will have an effect on your supply though.
    When we night nursed, I would roll over and switch the side he was on if I woke up. Otherwise, I didn't. I was not going to set an alarm for myself.
    How old is your LO?

Juno, thank you for your reply.

So far I haven't noticed a lot of difference in supply, but my LO's #2 diaper output could fluctuate from 5 a day to 1-2 a day, which makes it easy to worry. She is 10 weeks old.

Plus she loves to comfort nurse (especially when napping during the day), so she often stays attached to one of my boobs for the duration of her nap (since she is not actively sucking most of that time I don't switch her).

Do you mean pee diapers? And IMO, don't worry too much about if you are switching sides. I never thought much of it. I would often feel of my boobs and give DS the one that was fuller. I know that lots of BF mamas do that. It was probably pretty funny to see me in the store feeling myself up before a feed.

Since I pump at work, I know that my right boob produces less than the left. Therefore, at night, I tend to make sure that my right boob gets more "attention." Usually, if he wakes me up when we are cosleeping, I'll try to switch boobs... but I don't worry about it too much.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Nursing one side for an hour or two before switching at night doesn't seem like any cause for concern to me. If your baby wanted the "milkier" side, she'd let you know.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't think this would in most circumstances cause a supply drop off. Overall supply depends on how often you nurse overtime. On the oether hand, if you regularly feel engorged on the other side, that will tell your body to make less milk-and that is the theory behind block feeding. You could try to counter this by nursing more often on the less used side when not sidelying.

But there is a way to nurse with the "top" breast, so you can nurse on both sides while laying on the same side. Shift your weight so your bottom breast is more under you, and lean slightly over baby. Baby can stay side lying or roll more onto his or her back. You may need to brace yourself with your top arm. You may want to lift baby's head or head and upper body by putting your 'bottom' arm under baby. Obviously it depends a bit on baby's size and your breast size how well this will work, but keep trying it. I threw a party when I first figured this out when my oldest was several months old, and with my youngest I was able to do this from the getgo. It may be helpful to practice when you are more awake, say, at naptime.

I always had more trouble side lying nursing on the bottom breast. It was always easier for me to nurse him from the top one. We didn't figure out nursing on either breast side lying for months and months though.

I just figured out how to do both breasts side-lying. It's awesome! I would switch sides at nigh when he co-sleep otherwise he'd be nursing on the same breast for 8+ hours and that would be too long.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks to everybody for responding.

I really need to stop worrying about something going wrong, after all it's been 10 weeks and LO has been gaining an average of an ounce a day. The thing that got me worried was that she had fewer dirty diapers yesterday (only two) and today (only one), as opposed to her regular 3. She's has had a normal number of wet diapers though...

We don't co-sleep the entire night. I usually put her into the bassinet next to my bed after she falls asleep at night (she's been sleeping for 6 hours in a stretch), and when she wakes up, I put her into our bed just because she'll keep waking up every hour. Usually we end up co-sleeping for 3-4 hours or so and I probably switch the boobs mid-way through it

I've experimented with feeding from the top breast and it works fine, but I prefer to roll over to the other side if we are in bed for a while, since switching, rather than staying on the same side is much easier on my back and neck.
    Last edited by @llli*luckypixie; December 21st, 2011 at 07:28 PM.