Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it possible...

Default is it possible...

to give birth, get pregnant again within 12 weeks and still breastfeed even while being pregnant? just wondering...

i've heard that pregnancy hormones will dry you right up and you won't be able to
    breastfeed your baby while pregnant.

what do you do if you are a nursing mother and get pregnant? how would you keep
    feeding your baby?

Default Re: is it possible...

Are you in this situation? Most likely the mother will have to give at least some formula because her milk supply will plummet. I'm not saying it happens everytime but I don't know of anyone who got pregnant so quickly and was able to EBF.

It is possible for a breastfeeding mom to get pregnant very soon after giving birth. It's very unlikely, but possible.

It is also possible to nurse through pregnancy, though many moms lose some or all of their milk supply and therefore must supplement with some combination of donated breastmilk (preferable) or formula (less preferable). I have seen it said that about 80% of women who become pregnant while nursing lose some or all of their milk supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wow. okay. thank god im not in this situation myself (shoulda mentioned that in my pp). i was just curious.

My midwife had a client who had a client get pregnant 3 weeks after the birth of her first baby. I was that a) someone would be ready, willing and able to have sex again that soon (my midwife actually tells moms to abstain until all bleeding has stopped) and b) that she didn't use some form of birth control apparently as she was not breastfeeding and thus could not rely on LAM.

But this is the origin of the term Irish twins, babies born within 12 months of each other.

LAM is highly effective for most women, but you have to be practicing it perfectly (no bottles, no paci, cosleeping, etc), and there is that 1-5% it won't work for because they resume ovulating within weeks of birth.

Interesting bit of history...the royal families in the past knew that breastfeeding would suppress ovulation for most women. So they had babies and pawned them off on wet nurses so the queen or other royal woman could have another baby in the next year. This is how they had so many babies. If they practice ecological breastfeeding, most women don't have 8+ children unless they started young and had one every other year. The norm worldwide is to have fewer children, with the baby coming along when the toddler is well over two, if not three, spacing the pregnancies out farther. Every year..that isn't the norm.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!