Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Led Weaning Questions

Default Baby Led Weaning Questions

So my DD is 6.5 months old and we just started baby led weaning about 2 weeks ago. She loves broccolli and carrots so far the best. However she gagged several times with the carrot and ended up puking. Also she doesn't seem to like cold food or slippery food. And she has an intolerance to milk and soy.
    So my questions are this:
    1. Should I wait another week and try the carrots again?
    2. How can I make it easier for her to hold on to pears, bananas, and avacados? Some one said to roll them in cheerio dust but she had a topical reaction to oat extract(in the aveno baby shampoo) and so I'm nervous to have her try oats.
    3. Would it be okay to try toast this early or would you wait?
    4. At what age would it be okay to try pasta with a tomato based sauce?
    I know it's alot of questions but this is our first go around with BLW. My other children were on purees. This little lady hates them.

Default Re: Baby Led Weaning Questions

Don't you love and independent baby? I thought I would do purees with my first but she hated to spoon so much that there was no way to feed her except to allow her to feed herself.

Gagging and puking with BLS is pretty common, and part of the learning process. Some ways to cut down on it include offering smaller pieces of food- like well-mashed carrots instead of carrot slices- and putting less in front of the baby. Sometimes beginning solids-eaters get overenthusiastic about cramming food into their mouths, and then they end up gagging.

I probably wouldn't take carrots off the menu. And I probably wouldn't worry about making slipper food easier for her to hold- right now experimenting with texture is just as important as actually eating, and squishing slippery banana around is a good learning experience. I wouldn't do toast this early unless it's very thin and dry. Bread can kind of combine with baby's saliva and form a squishy little ball that (IMO) is a choking hazard. Have you seen those Baby NumNum rice crackers? Those make really great toast subs for little babies. Pasta and sauce are great baby foods, but the conservative course of action is to first introduce pasta or sauce separately, just to make sure your baby doesn't react to one or the other.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the advice! I was okay with the gagging...but then she puked and boy did that freak me out. Knowing that it's normal makes me feel better! I'll have to check into the num nums.

I have cut little chunks out of the side of slippery fruit (so the length of the fruit looks like a sawblade, persay). That gives my LO space to grip on better. Also, with banana -- I have given him a piece with the peel still on half of it (the other half has been peeled (so it looks like a push pop) -- and that way he has something sturdier to grip on... but still gets to experience the "normal" characteristics of banana.

Agree about keeping offering the foods.

One of his toddler buddies gave my LO his first piece of graham cracker yesterday... he gagged and spit up a little as he was eating it, but most of it did get consumed (and he liked it)
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

you can also make your own crackers! I just experimented with this recipe last night...haven't offered to LO yet though.

1.5 c of ground -- oats/nuts/seeds ...whatever type of item you want to use
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 c water

mix all, press into cookie sheet ~1/4" thick, score lines for crackers... and back for 15-20min at 325 F. Break off outside crackers as they get brown (if you need the inside ones to cook longer).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elisabetsey View Post
    you can also make your own crackers! I just experimented with this recipe last night...haven't offered to LO yet though.

1.5 c of ground -- oats/nuts/seeds ...whatever type of item you want to use
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 c water

mix all, press into cookie sheet ~1/4" thick, score lines for crackers... and back for 15-20min at 325 F. Break off outside crackers as they get brown (if you need the inside ones to cook longer).
    Cool recipe! But wouldn't using nuts be a potential allergy issue for babies under a year?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We did toast this early. Plain bread toasted and cut into strips. We also made homemade wheat waffles which worked well for delivering smashed fruit or yogurt in the little crevices. We were comfortable introcuding egg early, but if you are not there are some eggless pancake and waffle recipes out there.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    But wouldn't using nuts be a potential allergy issue for babies under a year?
    There's actually been some research done recently that is showing that its not actually making a difference as long as you wait the 6 months to introduce high allergy foods. (Unless, of course there is a history of allergies)
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arin-dn View Post
    There's actually been some research done recently that is showing that its not actually making a difference as long as you wait the 6 months to introduce high allergy foods. (Unless, of course there is a history of allergies)
    I have heard this, too. Recommendations on this subject seem to change all the time, so just do what you think is best. We are waiting until my son is MUCH older to introduce nuts because my father is very allergic, but eggs we didn't wait.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Yeah, that's why the recipe said to use whatever you wanted, as long as it filled up 1.5 cups -- so it could be all ground oats, or whatever if you wanted to skip the nuts