Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: possible OALD starting at 3.5 months?

Default possible OALD starting at 3.5 months?

Hi all,
    Is it possible to develop OALD 3.5 months in? One side was always faster, but now LO actually seems to dislike nursing at times, especially in the morning / up to early afternoon. He sputters and pulls off right away, screams, cries, etc. He didn't used to do that. I'm not sure if it's OALD or something else, maybe teething? When he pulls away it drips a little and gets his cheeks / my shirt / etc.
    He nurses fine overnight. If he is pretty much refusing from about 9 am through 2 pm, is my supply going to tank?

Default Re: possible OALD starting at 3.5 months

Hmm I had oald but it was from earlier on. Do you spray milk when he pops off? Does he pop off when you feel letdown? I would spray so badly it looked like a sprinkler had been turned on.

How long has this been going on? If it's a sudden thing perhaps he is teething or even an ear infection. Something could be causing him pain while nursing?
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Hm. It sounds more like he has developed a flow preference, in that the fast flow bugs him now. Usually babies grow to prefer the faster flow, but, hey, everybody is different.

If he gets enough off the one side for the day, you could do one sided feeding, in a block style, which will help control your supply and letdown on that side by decreasing your supply. If he nurses on that side at night, you will produce milk from it.

When he nurses in that side, what position are you using?

But instead of doing one sided nursing, I would try doing the recommended 'treatments' for overactive letdown and start with getting the milk to letdown and letting the excess spray into a towel, nursing leaning back, that sort of thing, before going to essentially all day blocks.

That said, 2 of my 3 nursed babies preferred my faster side, almost to the exclusion of the other side, and 1 preferred the other side, and we nursed for a long time. so whatever baby wants to do is OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    Do you spray milk when he pops off? Does he pop off when you feel letdown?
    It's not actually spraying like a sprinkler (yikes!) but it's dripping. He pops off pretty much right at the beginning, though, not always waiting till letdown.

It's been going on for the past week or two. I wonder if it's teething. Someone told me that the sucking action is painful on their little gums??

Yes, teething can bother them.

Also, one side could mean something about the position bugs him, like his ear is bothering him.

Or he could have a flow preference now and the one side annoys him.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan!! I guess now that I think of it, when he gets angry on the one side, he doesn't usually want to have anything to do with the other side, either. So the past few days it feels like he's not even nursing for the first part of the day. Maybe he wants to comfort nurse without the milk?? Maybe it actually is the teething that hurts?

Sometimes I have more luck when I lie down and feed him.
    There are times, though, when he definitely prefers the fast side. He gulps and gulps and keeps going, taking big breaths in between like he hasn't eaten in days, haha!

Early on, it was the same as your two who preferred the fast side - he would almost want nothing to do with the "slow side" unless it was to fall asleep.

Last night he woke up three times to eat and it was very smooth. He got down to business and right back to sleep each time.

He's getting in his last snooze right now before getting up for the day - I'm curious to see how this morning will go!

Well this morning he's in great spirits, but now the nursing was like this:
    latch on, suck suck, pop off, look around, smile at me, latch back on, suck, pop off, look behind, latch back on...

That sounds familiar! My DS does the same thing in the evening if DH is sitting next to us on the couch. He wants to see what's going on but it's so distracting.
    Wife to Adam 8/31/2008
    Mommy to William 9/30/2011
    Mommy to Tatum and Ellis 8/26/2013