Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wants to comfort nurse without the milk!

Exclamation Wants to comfort nurse without the milk!

My one month old wants to comfort nurse, but doesn't want all the milk with it. He will fill up and burp/spit up then act as though he wants to nurse more but won't latch on fully and pinch the nipple, or fuss.
    I have ended up giving him a pacifier only at the begining of the night. He gets really tired and fussy at night and goes longer between feeds at night as well.
    He is usually more content on just filling up during the day and only wants to comfort nurse at a couple of feedings before midnight then pretty much crashes, except for a couple more feedings (without comfort nursing or a pacifier) until morning.
    I know a pacifier is a breast feeding no-no, but has yet to be nipple confused and only uses it once or twice a night for a VERY short period of time.

Tips or advice welcome!

Default Re: Wants to comfort nurse without the m

Actually, once breastfeeding is well-established, you can feel free to use a pacifier. That usually means waiting 3-4 weeks before introducing one. So I think you're safe doing what you're doing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with Mommal

I had a huge amount of milk with my son, and also OALD, so he filled up very quickly. But he has always had a really high need for the snuggling and the oral stimulation, so I did a whole lot of slipping the pacifier into his mouth at the end of a feed, but still holding him in nursing position until his other needs were met. Your baby sounds like he's doing great with the balance of breast and pacifier time!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks for the comfort and support! He definitely used it a lot more tonight due to a little gas. That's what I get for having dairy and chocolate at dinner :/