Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/expressing milk for sippy cup?

Default Pumping/expressing milk for sippy cup?

So... at ~8mos, my LO is still primarily BF. I am wondering whether it might be worthwhile to build up a tiny stash of milk so that he can have it in a sippy cup while I leave him with DH or gma. The reason I am asking... the other day I was engorged on one side, so expressed about 1/2 oz into a cup... and then decided to see if LO wanted to drink it from a sippy cup. No surprise, he liked it (much better than trying water in a sippy cup, lol).

Should I try to find time to express a bit of milk here or there for practicing with a sippy cup (and more importantly, for if he gets hungry while being watched by someone other than me?).

We could totally survive without doing this (, but I am curious if I should consider ...(Had a pump, gave it to a mama in need a couple months ago b/c it was gathering dust in the closet).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Default Re: Pumping/expressing milk for sippy cu

No, totally worth trying if it makes transitioning to a cup easier.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok. Thanks!

On a side note, now I'm freaking out a wee bit. I can easily hand express 1oz from one side... but the other side is negligable? That isn't really an indication of my supply in that side, right....more likely that I just tried after LO had drained the "empty" side? The right side is the one that keeps getting engorged lately, I think I've been nursing more on that side than the left. I assume if I make efforts to up the nursing on the left side... things should even out? (I'm also probably just weirded out b/c I'm so used to having oversupply ....)
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Totally normal. I get 8+ oz from my left and 1-2 from my right. Most women are the opposite. It's extreme in my case because I had two lumpectomies on my right in my 20s, but it's very common to have be side make more milk than the other.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance