Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Channel palette

Default Channel palette

My son was born at 28 weeks and spent 3 months in the NICU. When he came home I tried to breastfeed but he wasn't making enough diapers, so I had to supplement. I went to an IBCLC who diagnosed him with channel palette from intubation at birth. Right now I am nursing with a shield, supplementing with a SNS or bottles, and pumping when I can to try and maintain my supply. Is there any hope of exclusively breastfeeding with his channel palette or will I always have to supplement?

Default Re: Channel palette

I can't find a whole lot about channel palate, but I get what you are saying. My fourth baby was born with a cleft lip and palate, making him unable to nurse. I pumped and fed with a special cleft feeder, a nipple shield and an SNS, giving him practice at nursing, until he fought me about it, and I used a cleft feeder until after his surgery. Now he can use a Breastflow bottle, but he is refusing to nurse.

Is your LO going to need surgery for this? Or does it grow normally over time? Either way, practice may may perfect.

I would suggest that you pump as much as possible with a hospital grade pump, as a robust supply will make it easier for your LO to nurse. If you decide to feed with a feeder or bottle, use the finish at the breast method, so baby is used to "nursing" even if it is with an SNS and nipple shield. I wish I had kept up with that; he won't nurse at all now and that is such a source of grief for me.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!