Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversupply or Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy

Default Oversupply or Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy

This is going to be long but I’m trying to figure out what the problem is.

I started using a hand pump when DS was about a month old to build a stash. I would pump on one breast in the morning but it would take about 45 min just to get 2 oz. I did this every morning for about a month.

By the time DS was about 2 months old he was super fussy and looked to be in pain. He was arching his back, spitting up a lot, was gassy, crying and had green watery/mucusy poos. A few times when he was BFing he would choke on my milk and when he let go I would spray him. We took him to the doctor and she said that he probably had reflux and to cut out dairy. We had also started giving him Colic Calm for a week. I stopped pumping because I didn’t want to give him any “tainted” cow’s milk protein BM. I also did block feeding because we thought it might also be oversupply due to the long pumping sessions with the hand pump.

It has been 3 weeks since I stopped eating dairy (and pumping) and DS stopped spitting up as much, his poos were back to a mustard yellow color and normal looking and was happy again.

I went back to work last week and work in the office twice a week and pump 3 times while I am there (about 15 oz total in those 3 sessions each day). I also pumped once at night to make up for an ounce+ that he ate will at my MILs last Thursday.

This past weekend he started spitting up a lot again, his poos are a dark yellowish color and kind of syrupy and drippy, his belly is making a lot of gurgling sounds and he is gassy again. I gave him a dose of Colic Calm last night and it seemed to make him feel a little better.

I am pumping as I type this and so far it’s been 22 min and I’m still going strong, about 2.5 oz in the left bottle and close to 3 in the right bottle with no second letdown button feature (Medela Pump In Style) or massage/compressions. I usually wait until the last drop to stop pumping.

I don’t know if this is an allergy or an oversupply issue. At first I thought it had to be dairy but now I’m not so sure since I’ve only had butter or cheese maybe 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Is this oversupply? The symptoms of both are so similar that it’s hard to tell what the problem could be. Has a return to pumping caused this problem?

If he’s spitting up so much is he going to loose weight or not gain weight? I just want him to be happy and healthy and to continue BFing.

TIA for any advice or suggestions.

Default Re: Oversupply or Cow’s Milk Protein All

Ok, after 30 min of pumping I got 2.75 from the left and 3.25 from the right. I BFed him on the left only at 5 am and then again from the right only at 7:30 am. Is this too much milk to have pumped? I stopped pumping when I got only drips.

It doesn't sound like oversupply poop to me. That is bright green and frothy. I think it's the color of bile.

Did your doctor not want to try reflux meds?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

A few weeks ago it was green and I even saw him poop once when I was changing his diaper and green bubbles came out of his bum. And the dr wanted to try the dairy thing before prescribing meds.

Yeah, but that dark yellowish color isn't bright green. I got really wound up about poop color and consistency with my first daughter, so I totally understand where you're coming from. And once you've had the fussiness that goes along with oversupply problems, and the gas and liquid poop, it's easy to attribute everything to that. But if you're seeing mucous (not sure if you are) that is more indicative of an allergy and dairy takes 6 weeks to fully leave the system. He could be swallowing more air due to overactive letdown, which could have been made worse by pumping. But you have to pump, so you can't really cut that out to see if it fixes it. OR maybe there is nothing going on and he's just gassy - babies are gassy - and everything will work itself out in a few weeks. It's really hard to know.
    Tracie

Mommy to

It is SO hard to know what's really going on. I'll keep the dairy out of my system (although I just ate a brownie - does that count as dairy?) and see how it goes. It's just crazy to think that I can get almost 6 oz in one pumping session! I can also feel my letdown happen when he's nursing (or when I'm pumping) and it happens about 30 seconds after he's on. I can also feel it in the breast he's not feeding from.

How long are you away from your baby? How old is he? Is he drinking all of the milk you are leaving behind?

When I first came back to work I was getting way too much out too. My body responds really well to the pump, especially for the first few months. I would end up engorged all weekend and then pumping too much again during the week. I ended up cutting out a session and pumping less to try and match better what my baby was drinking.
    Tracie

Mommy to

He is almost 12 weeks old and last week he drank about 15-18 oz each day I was gone (I work 8:30-6:30). I pumped for 3 sessions and got about 15 oz. I try to have my family hold him off from his night feeding if possible until I get home at 7 pm.

Are you away for about 11 hours total then? It sounds like your supply is matched pretty well to his needs - 15 ounces is really reasonable if you consider it from a 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour while away standpoint. 18 ounces sounds on the high side, but if it's only every once in a while, that's not too big of a deal. I don't think it's oversupply. I know it's weird to see that much milk coming out, but you probably nurse way more times during the day than you are pumping. You can have OALD without oversupply and that could cause more gas. Or it could be dairy, or reflux complications. Hopefully a mom who knows more about that will come along.

I see you're in TN. My in laws live in Jackson.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes, if the brownie was made with milk or butter (which is very likely) it definitely counts as dairy. It's best to eliminate ALL dairy from your diet when you're doing an elimination. You'll want to start checking the ingredients on everything that goes in your mouth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous