Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is this milk worth storing?

Default is this milk worth storing?

I pump out about 50ml of milk before each feed so that baby gets enough hindmilk. Is this milk worth storing and feeding baby next time when I go back to work in 2 mths time? or shld I just throw it away?

Default Re: is this milk worth storing?

I've been saving and freezing everything 'extra' so that I have it in case of emergency and for when I returned to work. I have been saving it in 4 oz amounts in the breastmilk freezer bags. I just throw the extra in the fridge to cool and when I have enough cold milk I make a bag. It's been working well since I figured out how to pump on one side and nurse on the other.
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

Why are you pumping to get hind milk? What makes you think you can't just nurse without pumping like this? Do you have a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance or what?

Also, I would donate it to another mama on Eats on Feets before I tossed liquid gold.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

You don't need to pump out anything to make sure baby gets hindmilk. Your body will regulate itself and give baby the proper balance of foremilk (which is needed) and hindmilk
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Pumping will actually make your foremilk/hindmilk imbalance worse, if you have one, sorry to say.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would NOT EVER throw away breastmilk. What you are doing is ineffective in terms of regulating your supply and I would stop doing it. But every drop of milk you have that you aren't using fresh you should freeze for emergencies or to supplement what you will be pumping at work.

Way too lazy for formula

If you do decide to continue pumping beforehand, you could always save the milk in a deep freeze (lasts up to 12 months) and use it in your baby’s solid foods (cereals) once she is ready.
    BF'ing + pumping (working full time as BFPC) CD'ing , baby wearing , mother of an intact son , co-sleeping , and tandem nursing toddler... Plus I wear deodorant.