Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old fighting nursing

Question 5 month old fighting nursing

This is my first time posting here so sorry if it gets a little long.

My 5 month old has been having a few problems for about 2 weeks now. The main problem I am having is that he arches his back and cries when I try to nurse him. He doesn’t do it every time, but most of the time. He has always wanted to nurse every 1 ½ to 2 hours but only for about 5 minutes on one side per feeding. I have had oversupply and overactive letdown so he was never did much comfort nursing, except when he was tired. The only way I could get him to sleep was nursing. Now he does it the most when he’s tired. Sometimes he will suck for 1-2 minutes then pull off and if I try to latch him back on he starts screaming. Sometimes when I just put him in the nursing position he starts crying. He acts like he’s hungry, but won’t nurse. It seems like he is doing this mostly when he is tired. I give up trying to nurse him and put him to sleep then he wakes up within 30 minutes wanting to nurse.

He has also been having problems sleeping. He has never been much of a napper, but was sleeping about 5-6 hours at night, nursing, then waking after 2 more hours. He would then take a short maybe 30 min nap in the morning, 2-3 hours in the afternoon, then another 30-45 min at night. Since the nursing problems have started he is only taking about 3 short 15-20 min naps during the day. Then he’s going to sleep earlier at night but waking frequently. I don’t always check the clock, but there have been nights when he wakes maybe 10 times. I nurse him back to sleep every time.

Right before this behavior started we were at the doctor because he didn’t have a bm for a week. Before we went in the nurse told me to give him apple juice. He really didn’t like it and seemed to have an upset stomach for 2 days after. The doctor said he was fine and he had a bm the next day. He went another 7 days and then 4 days.

He is also definitely teething. He is constantly chewing on his fingers and drooling.

So my question is… is this behavior related to teething? Is he just too tired? Is he having stomach issues? I have also been concerned that maybe my supply has dropped and that could be the problem. I just don’t know what the problem is and how I can get back to where we were. Oh and his wet diapers have seemed to decrease a little. He used to have maybe 6-7 very wet diapers and a few that were just a little wet. Now he usually has about 4 very wet diapers and maybe 3-4 somewhat wet diapers.

Default Re: 5 month old fighting nursing

sounds like teething to me. no more juice is what I would say. nurse as much as you can like you are doing. And it is normal for breastfed babies not to poop much at his age.

All that being said hyland's teething tablets saved us a lot of grief. They weren't making them last year, when DD2 ran out and it was horrible with out them. We tried the other brands like humphry's and they just didn't work as well for her as hyland's did. I was so excited yesterday when I seen hyland's back on the shelves at the store again. They really help our lo's sleep when they are teething. They have no sleeping medication in them at all. However, they help the pain, and in turn lo can sleep. I think it's the pain that keeps waking them up, and also hurts when they nurse. So LO may nurse and sleep better with them. Of course it's a personal choice is you want to give your child medications or not for such. But, I'm just putting it out there as they really helped save our sanity during teething. And was awful last year when we had to go with out them. So sad for poor DD.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I don't know what all of the behavior is related to. But I can tell you it's not uncommon for breastfed babies to only poop once a week or even less. As long as wets are ok, it's not a worry. They poop so little because breastmilk is very pure and there's little waste sometimes with the purity of it. Their little bodies just use it all up. I highly disagree with the introduction of juices so early. I consider that bad advice from your doctor/nurse. You can't undo it, but I sure wouldn't give my baby that young juice again.

Babies wake up a lot when they are teething. My girl has been known to wake up 15 times a night to nurse when she's in pain. It's not unusual for them to shift sleeping patterns as they change and grow.

I am not an expert, but I believe the arching of the back is supposed to be a sign of GERD. http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/ref...refluxsymptoms I don't know if this is the case or if it's related to the issues.

What makes you think your supply is dropping?

I am sure some others will come along and give input.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yes to the Hylands teething tabs. to them!

Christine

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the tablets. My mom keeps pushing the tylenol but I know too much is no good. I definitely did not want to give juice this early, but when I called the nurse she said to give him juice and take him to urgent care so I got worried. I went to my regular doctor and he explained that it was normal and he would talk to the nurse about her bad advice.

To yoginimama - For the first 3 weeks I had to pump and bottle feed because of latch issues. I got him off the bottles at 3 weeks and he won't take one now, but I still try to occasionally pump and only get 1-2 ounces. I know pumping isn't a real indicator, but I was thinking maybe he was crying because he was getting frustrated. I don't really think that's it though. I've just been so confused by his behavior. Unfortunately I don't have much support with breastfeeding so it's hard getting advice.

I dont know if what I say will help you but worth a shot.

DD has been waking a lot during then night as well. She was at the point of waking 1-2 times and now wakes at least 4-5 times. She is indeed teething as her two bottom teeth have just come in. So I beleive your child is waking b/c of teething.

On the arch back front.... Lately, last 3 weks, my daughter has been eating for 2-3 minutes on one side and then starts arching and crying and doesn't want to go back to the breast. So I just hold her against my chest, and rock her slowsy and sing and she goes right to sleep. I belive she is telling me I dont want to eat anymore but I want to stay in your arms and fall asleep. So maybe this is whats going in with your child. He may still want you but not eat to sleep. KWIM.

I wouldnt give juice yet either.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

I don't know if it's teething or a nursing strike. If it is a nursing strike, http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html this has more info than I could ever give you but we personally went through this for about 5 months and it was really really tough but my daughter would nurse when she was basically asleep, just stirring from a nap or sleeping at night before she'd open her eyes.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*camerons.mom View Post

To yoginimama - For the first 3 weeks I had to pump and bottle feed because of latch issues. I got him off the bottles at 3 weeks and he won't take one now, but I still try to occasionally pump and only get 1-2 ounces. I know pumping isn't a real indicator, but I was thinking maybe he was crying because he was getting frustrated. I don't really think that's it though. I've just been so confused by his behavior. Unfortunately I don't have much support with breastfeeding so it's hard getting advice.
    Getting 1-2 oz when pumping is pretty normal output. So don't let that worry you. Is he really only having 4 wet diapers in 24 hours?

I'm sorry it feels like you don't have much support. You will get it here. Glad you are here!

Christine

I read somewhere that a full diaper was the same as 8 tblsp of water, so I put that in a diaper to see how it felt. I change his diaper frequently. He has been having about 4 full diapers and then maybe 3-4 that are just wet, but not full like that. This has been concerning me because it's less than normal for him. He rarely fills a diaper overnight, but that has been going on for a few months now.

** I just tried putting the water in the diaper again.. this time I poured it across the entire diaper instead of just the middle. He is probably having about 6 of these a day. That makes me feel much better. Thanks for the help everyone!!
    Last edited by @llli*camerons.mom; December 20th, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

6 a day is great!

Christine