Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Slump

Default Pump Slump

I have heard there is a "pump slump" that happens between 8-10 months. Well I have been working and pumping since baby was 3 months old and he just turned 8 months and I am noticing a decrease in my pumping output. If pump slump is common, what does everyone do to counteract it??? I would hate to see this be the end of our nursing relationship but I can't help but feel that may be the case.

Default Re: Pump Slump

THere could be so many reasons for that. This pumping slump is just a nice name to give to a very common problem. It's not like some magic switch turns on at 8 months and boom, there goes your supply.

1. Baby might be going through a growth spurt so requiring more milk than you can pump at the the time.
    2. Baby might be teething so not nursing as well.
    3. Baby starting solids so nursing less.
    4. Pump starting to wear out or parts need replacement.

How many hours are you separated from your baby and how often do you pump during that time?

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

I nurse when he wakes up between 6a and 6:30a (He leaves the house with my husband around 7:30). I pump 4 times (20 mins a time) while at work from 9a-5:30p (about every 2.5 hours). Then nurse again before bed about 7p/7:30p. Then I pump again before bed around 9:30p/10p. On the weekends he nurses about 4/5 times a day.

Sounds like you're doing everything right! Pumping every 2.5 hours is very good. What's your usual output and how is it now? Maybe you can fit in a dreamfeed somewhere in the night if he is going that long 11 hour stretch.

Mom to Samuel J.

Its been gradually decreasing from about 17 oz a day to under 15 now. So not a huge difference but (1) it makes a difference when he eats 15 oz a day and (2) its been a steady decline. That being said, something just dawned on me. I started using pumpin pals because I had a lot of pain when pumping. They improved the pain factor and its been wonderful ever since, but the decline has been over the last month and my pumpin pals were delivered Jan 30th. This makes me so sad because they helped the pain so much, but that has to be it right??? That being said, if I switch back to the regular shields, how long until my supply perks up again????

Interesting. You don't know for sure yet that that's what caused the slump. Also, I don't see why Pumpin Pals should be the cause of a supply issue.

Perhaps you can offer a drop of baby food for days when you don't have enough milk for him? That's what I did and it made me feel a lot better because I knew he won't be hungry. My supply drops were not really because of poor demand but rather because of hormonal reasons. That could also be a factor for you now. Maybe you are getting your period back? Maybe you are ovulating?

Mom to Samuel J.

I read a few accounts online of women who reported pumping less with pumpin pals, maybe because they aren't as aggressive, for lack of a better term. I could certainly be getting my period back. He started sleeping though the night a few weeks ago, so it could have triggered that. Whatever it is I hope it doesn't continue!

Hi there! It sounds like you have had a few changes all around the same time that could make it confusing to figure out what has caused this slight slump.
    Baby sleeping through the night in and of itself could cause a slight reduction in supply as well as possibly trigger the return of your cycle. I know my cycle has been trying to make a come back and my out put sometimes is affected...even at different times of day. I find if I just relax about it and do my best keep up supply and meet baby's needs....it all works out in the end. I hardly feel like this could be the end with you still able to get 15 oz. 15 is way better than 0.

Why did pumping hurt before pumpin pals? Did you have the correct flange size? Maybe try a different pump in pals flange size. I have them and found I use a size smaller than on regular flanges. Also, you could experiment and alternate between pumpin pals and regular and see if that has any affect on comfort or out put. When I used regular flanges, I would dip my finger in olive oil and run along the smallest part that your nipple goes in. This helped a lot and it's a very thin layer and won't hurt baby.

The pump slump is actually best combated with extra pumping sessions and Freezer stash supplement. Do you have any freezer stash? Can you ad in extra sessions? Either one 1st thing on the morning or once a day on the weekend to build a freezer stash?

Way too lazy for formula