Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking antibitocis, preventing thrush?

Question Taking antibitocis, preventing thrush?

I have been trying soooo hard to get over whatever it is I have without antibiotics. I've been sick over two weeks and my doc said if I went past about 10 days, it was probably bacterial instead of viral and I needed antibiotics. I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse, with home treatments. So, I'm taking a z-pak starting today. We had really bad thrush early on and this is why I've been doing everything possible to avoid antibiotics. I thought I'd ask you experts, is there anything I can do to help prevent this? I have a prescription for Diflucan filled just in case I get it where I can hopefully treat it right away and not suffer too long. But is there anything I can do on the preventative end? Probiotics? If so, how much/how often? Anything else I can do? Will it help to rinse my nipples in vinegar/water or grapefruit seed extract/distilled water mixture? If so, should I swab DS's mouth after each nursing? I'm sooooo worried I'll get this again and really freaking out!!!!!

Default Re: Taking antibitocis, preventing thrus

when i took antibiotics i took a probiotic one in the morning and one in the night (capsule form, i purchased from healthfood store) i also gave my lo a probiotic called culturelle (for kids) once a day. its a powder form and i mixed it into his food (cold oatmeal, must be cold or it will kill some of the cultures). i bought the culterelle at target. we did not get thrush thankfully. hope you feel better soon.
    sophia
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I use culturelle and eat yogurt. For an infant, I read that you can dip your finger in the powder from the probiotic capsule and put it in their mouth. Also make sure you wash your bra often and don't leave any pads in your bra too long. Also if you are really prone to yeast, avoid sugar. Use the diflucan as a last resort as you don't want to become resistant to it. Good luck!

+1 for probiotics (kefir is also a good source!!). I know a mama who swears by grapeseed oil for preventing thrush too.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Thanks, ladies! I'm praying not to get it again!!! Can you tell? LOL I don't think my kidney stones were as painful as the thrush was....and that wasn't even when I was pumping or nursing!!! Pumping/nursing made it wayyyy worse!

Grapefruit seed extract is awesome. You can get it in a pill. The liquid tastes nasty. You just want to make sure you get the right kind AND do not take GSE within a few hours of the antibiotics and your proboitics. I think it's a 4-hour window it needs both ways. The GSE is so strong it will "kill" the good parts of the antibiotics and probitiocs you need. Crazy, huh?

Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE), active ingredient must be “citricidal”

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!