Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF error after C-section terror!!!

Default BF error after C-section terror!!!

Ok i need some help! After exclusively bf my baby in the hospital i came home and my incision opened up, i have been dealing with lots of pain and on medication they said would leak into the breast milk and with an open wound made positioning impossible for me ( it doesn't help that i'm overweight and have large breasts ). After three weeks of having to pump and supplement with formula with a bottle i'm trying desperately to get him back to breast. Unfortunately with all the added medical expenses i am unable to get a lactation consultant....can anyone help me???

Default Re: BF error after C-section terror!!!

Welcome, mama! Aim sorry about your rough start. Is your incision closed up now? Are you feeling okay?

This link talks about all the ways I know of to get a baby to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. In particular, the instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are supposed to be helpful.

I'm glad you found this site! I think you'll get a lot of help and support here, and we have a lot of mamas who have had similar experiences to yours.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do you have a local LLL leader or group nearby? You can call most leaders to get some free hands-on help and support.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

LLL will help you for free. That being said, do you have a my brestfriend pillow, if not and you can't afford one look on craig's list and ask on freecycle. That will help keep baby off the incision as well as help with the large breast issue.

Most meds you can take with breastfeeding, you may want to make sure with the LLL about medications, and what is safe and isn't. As sometimes drs will just tell you you have to pump and dump when there is no reason to. They just don't want to look up the medication!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Try the football hold. After our emergency C section we used it until my incision healed. Basically you put the baby's torso and legs under the arm of the same side you nurse on. It works great.
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

breath girl! From one big girl to another, let me tell you that you can do this I found placing a boppy pillow on my lap helped cover my incision, but it thats painful to you to be sitting up try lying down. I nurse my little girl lying down often, I just have to be sure to point my nipple at her. If she rolls towards me too much (she's on her side) I lean her shoulder away from me a bit until I get myself positioned. Don't be afraid to ask someone to help you. Get yourself comfy, and get someone else to handle baby and boob!

What exactly is happening when he goes to breast?

As a side note, if you have another baby and need a c-section, find out if you can get a wound-vac. Basically its a small vaccum machine that uses suction to help keep incision closed and clean. The new ones like I had was portable and quiet. My dr said he likes it for all of his 'full figured gals'.
    Last edited by @llli*redruby; December 23rd, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: thought of something else!
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

thanks to all of u for your great advice , my wound finally healed and he is still having some issues latching but he gets on it eventually, now it's just trying to build my milk supply i just got a medela pump in style and i now have an appt. with a lactation person thanx to WIC, If anyone could give me some advice on building it that will be great, i tried pumping and i'm only getting a half ounce on each side each time but i know he eats like 4 ounces every 3 to forur hours so it confuses me.i am very determined he's my last baby.

That's terrific progress, mama!

This link covers increasing supply when pumping, and what you should normally expect: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"