Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just fussy?

Exclamation Just fussy?

I have a 5 week old (two weeks early) who is a good nurser besides drinking quite a few air bubbles. He generally goes 2 to 3 hours between feedings in the day and 3 to 4 during the night.

He is usually fussy around the evening before he crashes for the night. The last couple of nights he has been a lot fussier for a lot longer. He can usually be consoled with a pacifier or running water while being bounced. He won't want to comfort nurse if he is full. He usually gets more mad with gas going up rather than going down, but his burps can be stubborn if they aren't right after a feeding. This has gone on for two to three hours the last two days before he gives up. Can a baby develop colic this late!?
    Aside- I did realize the first rough night I had a lot of beef and dairy that day. The next day I had half as much dairy. I will scale dairy way back today and see if tonight is a little better.

Tips, consoling, and words of wisdom needed. THANK YOU!

Default Re: Just fussy?

It might not be the dairy. Babies are often fussy in the evening. My second baby went through that for several weeks when she started to wake up a bit more to the world, we called it the evening screamies. I can't remember what we did other than try our regular comfort measures - nursing, bouncing, walking around, etc. and it went away a few weeks after it started.

Have you tried taking him outside?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

3 weeks is actually a very typical time for the onset of colic- and your baby is really only 3 weeks old, developmentally speaking, since he missed those final 2 weeks of growth in utero. What you describe sounds like something people refer to as "evenings-only colic" or "the witching hour(s)". It tends to strike at around the same time each day- my first baby would start screaming at 7:00 on the dot. The's not a lot you can do for it except get through it, and here are some useful tricks:
    - motion (rock in a rocker, swing in a swing, ride in the car)
    - white noise (run the water, the vacuum, the dryer, etc.)
    - closeness (snuggle in mama's arms or in a sling)
    - warm bath
    - trip out of doors
    - nurse (if baby will nurse)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've read somewhere that evening fussiness is extremely common and peaks somewhere around 5 or 6 weeks, and then starts to decline. Mine did the same thing and still occasionally has evening fussiness. Usually around 6 or 7 at night.

It is much more likely that this is plain old normal baby fussiness than that it has anything to do with your diet. If reducing dairy is not a hardship for you, then no reason not to try it. But it is a big pet peeve of mine that moms blame their diet and unnecessarily deprive themselves of foods they like (and sometimes, foods they NEED) due to the mistaken impression that food sensivities via breastmilk are common. This is actually UNCOMMON.

My oldest, also born a few weeks prior to due date, was very fussy in the evenings. I don't remember when it started but it certainly was several weeks in, and lasted for quite some time, until he was two or three months old, maybe? (He is now a perfectly helathy and happy 8 year old, although he does tend to be a tad overdramatic.) Sometimes all I could do was hold him while he wailed and I figured that was better than leaving him to cry alone. When nursing did not help and it got to be too much for me my husband would take him and walk him down in a sling while humming. So if there is anyway you can get another pair of loving hands to help you during these times that may help you.

Have you eliminated the possiblility of forceful letdown? Just a thought.

I had to take my son outside ... a lot! We went for walks around the block either in his sling, or in the stroller if I had the dog with us.

I also laid him down on his belly, over my lap, and patted his back. I would do this for -hours- while he screamed bloody murder. I would call the man up and tell him how horrible it was, while I was sobbing nearly every day.

What also seemed to work, especially to put him to sleep, (and because we can't afford a white noise machine) was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM

We had the laptop on in our bedroom, with the volume up all the way so that the baby would only hear that while going to sleep.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck. I know I felt completely defeated during the screaming weeks.
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

A new thing I have discovered that has seemed to work like magic the past few times for an otherwise inconsolable crying baby, I put my mouth right up to his ear and shhhhhhhhh over and over and over. and while I do that, I slowly put him down and then shhhhhh in his ear while he's lying down and I swear it is instant sleep!

This works for my almost 8 week old son, but only when I know the only reason he is crying is overtiredness. Usually after I try to nurse him unsuccessfully. Try it! My boyfriend was astonished by it. It's like an off switch for the crying!

Thanks everyone! We have good and bad nights. He got a lot better until the last few nights but it is his six week birthday so I figured he is having a growth spurt. I noted he likes bath time and running water sounds. Sometimes he likes singing. Every night is a new adventure. It starts anywhere from 9 to 11 pm, but usually by 2 am he gives up and sleeps well with one feed break before I am up for the day.

with going outside - worked great with my DD! She had a horrible fussy time every single night til she was about 3-4 mo old. My son wasn't as bad. It seems as long as I am holding him he's ok. Try holding, swaddling, rocking. Those all seem to help. he will grow out of it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby