Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding for longer than a year? Advice?

Default Feeding for longer than a year? Advice?

I had a lot of problems with breastfeeding at the start (first 3 months-pain/thrush/mastitis?/tongue-tie/latching issues, no one was completely sure). But ever since we cracked it, I've enjoyed it no end and I'm so proud that I continued even in the darkest hour.

I'm considering when to wean my boo completely (she's just short of her 1st birthday) and I have to be honest, I'm struggling to decide what and when to do it. It's a very emotional decision.

I have lots of things to consider. I have Fibromyalgia which means I'm tired a lot of the time, weaning completely would possibly let me use the energy I use for feeding for things like volunteering or rehearsals for theatre shows (which are evenings, when she has one feed).

I'm mainly asking for advice about the positives for feeding after a year.

What advice could any of you give me about needing freedom and energy but also still wanting to bf?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Feeding for longer than a year? Advi

Well, after a year you can up solids and drop some nursing sessions. For me, since I work four days a week, it's nice to reach the one year mark because then I can stop pumping and just nurse on demand when at home with my baby.

It's a great way to connect. But you aren't so NEEDED all the time. And your baby is going to still be a baby the day after her first birthday.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Nursing after a year can be whatever you want it to be. You can continue to let your baby set the nursing schedule, or you can wean your baby from all her night feedings, from all her day feedings, or from just some of the feedings. You can continue to nurse wherever you are, or you can start to set limits (like no nursing in public, for moms who aren't comfortable with that). You can nurse 10 times a day or just once a day, whatever best suits your needs.

I personally am very pro-toddler nursing, because I see it as the big payoff on the investment you make during your baby's first year. Nursing a young baby is tiring, and it ties you down to the baby or to the pump. But nursing a toddler- you can skip sessions, you can have the baby eat other stuff, you can leave her with daddy or grandma or the babysitter. And you get all the health benefits of nursing (reduced risk for obesity, heart disease, breast cancer, etc.) and all the mothering benefits, too! Baby falls down and skins her knee? The breast soothes her tears! Overtired baby won't sleep? The breast will get her to close her eyes. Baby is going through a horrible spate of teething? The breast will help. Baby caught the virus that's going around town, and can't keep anything in her tummy and is refusing to eat? Breastmilk is better for her than Pedialyte. Baby is being a typical toddler, and refuses to eat anything except bananas and pasta? Breastmilk fills a lot of the nutritional voids in her diet (in fact, nurse 3-5 times a day and you do not have to worry about your child's dairy intake).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't make a decision until you are ready too. There's nothing more relaxing than laying back and letting your toddler nurse...sometimes it's the only way to keep them still for a few minutes while you get some rest!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Don't make a decision until you are ready too. There's nothing more relaxing than laying back and letting your toddler nurse...sometimes it's the only way to keep them still for a few minutes while you get some rest!
    so true...i cherish the time I can just sit down for five minutes and relax
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    There's nothing more relaxing than laying back and letting your toddler nurse...sometimes it's the only way to keep them still for a few minutes while you get some rest!
    So true! I don't know how I'd cope with a toddler if I didn't nurse. Because it's not like weaning makes your child easier, less active, or less demanding of your time and attention. It just changes the type of attention you have to give them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh and it's one of the best the temper tantrum soothers at that age too!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Sometimes nursing is the only way I get to sit down!

Nursing past the first year is way more fun. The troubles are worked out and you can set limits. You can nurse without having to worry about them getting enough, so on and so forth. My daughter sometimes goes up to 7 hours without nursing while away from me. It's great.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I just weaned about 3 weeks ago and LO turned 2y in Sept. I enjoyed it until I became pregnant and lasted as long as I could but the nipple pain got unbearable and she was only nursing at nap-time and bed time so maybe 4 times a day so it wasn't hard to wean her. if I wasn't pregnant I probably would still be nursing her. It was beneficial to her health and mine since I had to sit at some point int he day with her and relax and snuggle. I do miss it and she does too at times but we still snuggle lol It's completely up to you and your baby how long you go and when you quit and why. Good Luck!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Nursing after one is less demanding than nursing a younger baby in many respects, and it is also one of the most relaxing things you can do with an active toddler. Double win. I would take a "wait and see" approach. If things aren't working for you, you can make changes, cut back on feedings, etc, until you're feeling good about nursing again. Or you can wean. Your call. But it's not a decision you need to make before that time comes.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.