Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nusing often

Default nursing often - update, need help

DS is eating every hour and a half to 2 hours since Friday. I don't mind because I don't work those days, but I kind of makes me wonder if something is up. He has recently started sleeping for 6 to up to 10 hours at a time at night, but then I would think he would have started the more often feeding a week ago when he started sleping through the night. I wonder if my supply has lessened, even though I have been drinking mother's milk tea to increase it because I noticed my supply seemed to be starting to get lower (and then with the sleeping longer, I figured he would need to eat more while I was away at work, so I needed to get back up to my previous 12 oz I used to be able to pump). Could he just be going through a growth spurt or needing closeness? We will be playing and all of a sudden he makes the hungry sound and buries his face in my chest. And every time he eats it is likehe is starting to eat after a long fast, frantic until I can get. my bra open for him to eat. If I try to have him ait a bit, he gets very upset.

UPDATE: I just pumped and got 3 ounces - and that was with compressions. I usually get 6 the first time I pump for the day (because it is about 4.5 hours from the time I am able to feed him and pump). That is with DS nursing every 1.5 to 2 hours since Friday and me drinking mother's milk tea 2 times a day and eating oatmeal for breakfast for the last 2 or 3 weeks. My production just seems to be getting worse, not better. I am also drinking water like crazy. I don't know what else to do. I am freaking a little because I am SO not ready to stop nursing and I know DS would have a VERY hard time stopping at this point. Please help.

I know I am not pregnant, so I am not sure what else could be causing the problem
    Last edited by @llli*firsttime; December 19th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: nusing often

Could be a growth spurt, as I noticed my guy, just a week or so older, has wanted to eat a lot more in the last month; it kind of made me crazy because I dropped some pumping sessions to make my life more manageable, but I'm thus not pumping as much as I was quantity-wise. Could also be needing to reconnect and separation anxiety (even if you never leave him). Another thought....could you be pregnant? Sometimes that is an early sign of pregnancy; your supply starts to dwindle, but baby nurses more trying to bring it up (unsuccessfully).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

update in first post.
    I will not have enough milk for tomorrow at this rate. I need help

DS since 1/30/11

Nurse, nurse, nurse, and pump, pump, pump, mama! I wish there were another way... But that's really the best route. I know it's easy to say and hard to do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How long do you think it will take? And what do I do in the meantime - what can he eat since I won't have enough for him for tomorrow?

DS since 1/30/11

could you be ovulating? are you sick? are you stressed? these things can drop supply.

the same thing happened to me starting about 1 month ago. i used to always pump around 4.5 oz and then i began pumping around 3oz. my son is eating a lot of solid food (3 meals a day) and sleeping through the night. he does seem completely satisified at the breast. i began taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal and drinking mothers milk tea and still wasn't seeing much of a change in the amount i was pumping. after worrying and worrying for 1 month i decided that he is comfortable at the breast i will stop worrying about supply. i have my dcp give him 3.5 oz bottles one for lunch and one at dinner and my husband gives him one before bed and then i nurse when we are together.

for me i had to stop worrying about what i was getting at the pump and just go with the flow b/c it was making me crazy.

(right now the only thing that seems to consistnely give me more milk is when i eat a lot, i am back to my prepregnancy weight).

good luck, enjoy your baby and go with the flow, maybe adjust the amount you are giving in the bottle if it is significantly more than what you are pumping and see how your lo does...
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I am sick with a cold. Does that make a difference? I don't think I am ovulating. The only stress I have right now is about the darn milk

I do eat a lot, but maybe not very healthily, maybe that will make a difference. Thank you everyone for the support. I will pump more today (when I can) and feed my son more. And have more mother's milk tea.

DS since 1/30/11