Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changes in breastfeeding at 4 weeks

Default Changes in breastfeeding at 4 weeks

My son is 4 weeks today and has not been eating like he normally does. He on average eats every 1.5-2 hours for a total of 20-30 minutes. He'll go for a 3 hour stretch at night sleeping.

He definitely went through what seems as the 3 week growth spurt last week as there were times when we were nursing much more frequently than our average. Today he seems much different though. He had a 4.5 hour stretch of sleeping which surprised me (I must have been sleeping soundly as well because I would of woke him up at the most 4 hours). When he woke he had a lot of spit-up that was very thick. He does not really spit-up that often. Since we've been up he just doesn't seem as interested in eating. He'll latch for a couple of minutes and then just go back to sleep. When he latches it is not as strong as normal either.

Am I overreacting or is this just maybe a transition?

Thank you!

Default Re: Changes in breastfeeding at 4 weeks

Growing is hard work It could be a transition after a growth spurt. All of my babies have changed things up about the time I got used to it

It's also possible he has a little bug, and I'd keep an eye on him for any worsening or fever or changes in stool. And I'd keep offering.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What she said. Just want to add on an explanation for the thick spit-up: spit-up consistency varies based on how long the milk has been in baby's tummy. If a baby spits up right after nursing, the spit-up looks like milk, thin and watery. If it happens a couple of hours after nursing, the spit-up looks thick and more cheesy or curdy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, ladies! Things picked up today, so I feel much better...I was worried about him having some sort of bug. The stomach virus is going around where we live like crazy (we all, minus baby, had it last weekend). Thanks for your input!