Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's an occasional alternative to BM?

Default What's an occasional alternative to BM?

Every other week, I leave my [almost 9 month old] LO with a sitter for bowling league. We leave around 6:10 & he goes to sleep @ 7pm. He always gets a smallish bottle right before bed, but I feed him right before we leave too. Since there's no way I can pump once I leave, though, it eats into my freezer stash.
    With everything going on, I have neither the time nor the desire to pump extra outside of this to get a bottle ready for him, plus my pump stays at work these days. I am [99%] certain he doesn't need a feeding right before bed, but that's the routine, and I'm fine with it.

SO.

What's the best thing to start giving him for his every-other-week-before-bedtime drink?
    I know not cow's milk yet.
    He's never had formula, but I have the newborn sample packages that come in the mail, or I could buy the non-newborn stuff.
    Water?

So far the only thing he's been drinking is BM and practices with a water sippy cup, but he doesn't drink it on a regular basis.

Thoughts?
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!

Default Re: What's an occasional alternative to

I'd probably offer water, or maybe a bedtime snack of fruit/yogurt/cheese if he's eating those things without problems.

I was going to say try a little bit of water, too. Or even try skipping the bottle and see how he does with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'd offer some solids. Or just use some freezer stash. Even though you aren't replenishing it, you are going to eventually need to use it up I stopped replenishing mine with my first baby around 9 months, but then I never used it up, and I ended up tossing all that milk out in the end.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Could you try some oatmeal or rice? My son likes quinoa mixed with full fat yogurt and peaches.

I don't pump much anymore. I leave Dylan 3 times a week while I work out with dh. I'm gone two to three hours. I nurse before leaving and dh gives him a sippy with water and snack of solids if he gets hungry. A nine month old baby can go a few hours without bm (or formula for that matter) and be tied over with solids/ water.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I'd go solids and water

Sweet potatoes are very filling and packed with nutrients. Avocados are also a great filling food.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet