Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 month old weaning?

Default 14 month old weaning?

Hope someone can help. I'm still nursing my 14 month old DS about 4-6 times a day. He'll only nurse for a few minutes & I'm not hearing any swallowing. Also, I pump when I work (only 2 nights a week) and I'm only getting 1-1 1/2 oz per session. I only pump twice at night. At home at night he only nurses to sleep then again between 4-5am.
    DS still nurses when offered, but he doesn't ask to nurse unless he's very tired & wants to go to sleep.
    So my question is... is this part of weaning? Is he getting enough fluids? Is this normal? How long can he nurse like this? Should I try to increase my supply? Sorry that was more than one question.
    Thanks for any input.
    ~LG~
    Mommy to:
    Chloe- BF 4 weeks
    Julia - BF 11 mos
    Jenna - BF 9 mos
    Caite - BF 7 mos
    Aidan - BFing since birth & hopefully for 2 years

We , , , & homeschool

Default Re: 14 month old weaning?

At this stage you probably do not need to try to increase your supply. You have been nursing for a long time and at this point your body knows what it's doing. If he is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours than you don't need to offer any other liquids other than water. It may just be a case of "there are so many interesting things going on, I don't have time to stop and nurse!" Does he nurse when you offer? Or does he refuse?

It's unlikely that he's self weaning at this age, although it is possible. I would continue to offer to make sure that he's nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours. As for the short nursing sessions, my son was like that. Some sessions didn't last a full minute, but the night time sessions were longer (but still only 5 or 6 minutes) and he went on to nurse until just before his third birthday.

The nursing relationship is a complicated one. There are two of you in this relationship so there will be eb and flow - sometimes he may want to nurse more than you want to and other times you may find that you are offering all the time as he shakes his head "no". Keep at it mama. If you're not ready to wean, keep offering.

If he nurses before bed and in the middle of the night, you only have to fit in two more sessions (one really, since he is getting 2-3 ounces of your pumped milk).

They are working on so much at this age and nursing may be the last thing on his mind, but I'm inclined to say that he will pick up his nursing frequency when he hits his next developmental milestone or his next tooth

If you DO want to increase your pumping output, I would increase your water intake and try to offer a few more times when you are together. Some mothers find that eating oatmeal helps as well. There are also herbal teas that are said to boost supply but I'm not familiar with those.

Don't think that you don't have any milk though... Your milk is becoming very concentrated - after a year your milk becomes more calorie dense so he is getting more bang for his buck, ya know? And your milk doesn't disappear quickly after this length of nursing, however pumping output may decrease.

You are dong a great job! This may be a little bump in the road, but if you keep offering I'm sure you will enjoy a long nursing relationship
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; December 18th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Terrific advice from Jenn! The nursing relationship really does ebb and flow, just as she described. What you're experiencing is part of weaning, but weaning can be a very long process- years long!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you both so much. I guess I just needed the encouragement. He never refuses to nurse when offered. He just doesn't come looking for it. I'm glad that pumping output doesn't neccessarily equate with adequate intake on his part. My goal is to nurse until he's two. As long as I think this stage is normal, I feel confident I can do it. Thanks again.
    ~LG~
    Mommy to:
    Chloe- BF 4 weeks
    Julia - BF 11 mos
    Jenna - BF 9 mos
    Caite - BF 7 mos
    Aidan - BFing since birth & hopefully for 2 years

We , , , & homeschool