Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged ducts

Default Plugged ducts

My left breast feels so hard, it is not just a bump, but the whole left and upper side of the breast and a little bit in the aerola. I'm wondering if these are plugged ducts?

I thought it was supposed to feel like a bump and get red, but this doesn't look like that. It only hurts when I make pressure on my breast (or when I carry DD), it doesn't hurt when she nurses.

It gets harder after each nursing session (after letdown) I guess because it gets full and nothing comes out. DD gets a little fussy after offering that breast and keeps asking for more milk, so I guess that's because she's not getting the usual from that breast.

I once had one plugged duct when DD was younger, and it felt like a bump, it was red and it hurted when DD nursed or I pumped.

Is that a plugged duct? Could it be something else? I'm just doing warm compresses every now and then and trying to pump, but it never gets soft.

TIA!
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: Plugged ducts

I've had several blocked ducts...usually if I waited too long to nurse or pump or when I was under a lot of stress.

First of all, when you pump, do you get anything out of the breast that is causing you discomfort? I never had a red lump but when I did get blocked I would not pump much if anything from that breast.

I purchased the Nuk compresses that you can put in the microwave to warm up. I would put that on before nursing and pumping. I would also massage my breast working toward the nipple...at times I would massage as my baby was nursing or while I was pumping (the best that I could).

If you are pumping normal out of that breast or you can't relieve the blockage I would go to your doctor for a checkup. I have gone multiple times with concerns.
    Hope that helps!

Definitely sounds like a plugged duct.

Mama, it's been a few days since you posted this. Is everything okay now, or are you still dealing with this?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been a few days away from the pc, but everything is fine now. I have no idea how it went away ¡?¡ DD was nursing before bedtime and suddenly it dissapeared.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Glad to hear all is well...it is very relieving when the blockage goes away.