Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to prepare for my return to work

Default How to prepare for my return to work

I will be returning back to work on Jan 3rd. My son will be about 6 1/2 weeks old. I have not been storing any of my pumping sessions for that time because since my son is just 4 weeks old today I have been dealing with his growth spurt last week and now when I do get some free time after feeding him I tend to house work.

What is the best way to start my freezer supply and how much should I anticipate he will be eating when I return? My son isn't eating on a "schedule" more on demand and some days it seems like I am nursing ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT other times he will go 2 to 3 hours rarely 4 in between feedings. Due to him starting to "choke" at times, and was having fussing fits about 1/2 hour to an hour after where he was arching his back and screaming and he is sooo gassy (even still, but not as bad since I stopped giving him vitamin drops that seemed to make his gas and his pain worse), I assume I have OALD and starting nursing only on one side per feeding....

I also notice that my right breast seems to produce much more than my left.... I would appreciate any help in starting to prepare for my return to work would be great. I also will have to be away from my son for 2 consecutive overnights and 3 days at the end of February.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Default Re: How to prepare for my return to work

How long will you be away from your baby while you are at work? The general rule is to leave between one and 1.5 ounces per hour while you are away. I'm going for 10.5 hours total, so I leave between 10 and 16 ounces (depending on how much my daughter seems to be taking). I would put it in small amounts, so that your day care provider can mimic nursing on demand - so maybe 2.5 ounces each? You have about two weeks to come up with the first days amount. I would pump every morning between now and your first day of work and freeze most of it. If you can get two ounces a day, you'll have twice as much as you need for the first day. You'll pump the first day of work for the second day and so on.

I would probably also have baby take an ounce of milk out of the bottle every day, or every other day, unless that's too stressful for you.

It's normal for one side to produce more than the other.

I don't have any advice for going out of town, I've only been away from my 3 year old overnight when her baby sister was born, but I would think you'll just need to pump every 3 hours while away. And you'll need to start working on a stash of milk for that trip. Babies need around 25 ounces of milk a day. I guess you should probably pump every day of the week at least once in order to get the 60 or so ounces you'll need for the trip.

For going out of town, you'll need to build up a freezer stash. So pump every day. And while away, pump every 2-3 hours during the day and every 4 during the night.

What pump do you have?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When I was about to go back to work I started pumping after each bf session wih my ds. That helped me to produce enough extra to get a pretty healthy freezer stash going. I am also going to have to go out of town for a few days either in Feb or March, so I feel your pain!

Have you tried the Mylicon drops for the gas? Those worked great for my son. I also have OALD, and we battled the gas from 3wks to 6wks of age, and then he started getting better at adjusting his sucking and swallowing cycle during ld.

I have the Medela Freestyle backpack pump

Thank you everyone for your help! I will start pumping after breastfeeding to see what I can get for sure and thank you for the help in knowing about how much baby will drink each day. That helps me understand how much I should have pumped and put away in the freezer