Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt question

Question Growth spurt question

Hi!

Since I posted last, we've successfully breast fed without supplementing! We've nursed in public a couple of times, but we still need to work on it (he likes to look around, but hates to be covered). Ya'll have been so helpful!

So L turned 3 months on November 30th. Previously, he would eat every 3ish hours from 7:00 AM - Midnight and then sleep from 12:30 AM to anywhere from 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM. He would kinda snack and cat nap then till 7:00 AM. He naps once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and then usually from 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM, and then he'll sleep from 10:30 PM to Midnight. This is basically the schedule he set for himself.

Now he wants to eat every hour to 2 1/2 hours. He's hard to put down for a nap and refuses to sleep by himself. At night, he wants to co-sleep and snack every 2-3 hours. We have noticed that he's way more active. He wants to sit up constantly and be held high up. I'm not sure how I would manage without my Moby wrap! He now won't stay in the swing or bouncy sit long, because he can't sit straight up in it. He also hates his pacifier now.

So my question is... Is this like a really long growth spurt? Is he eating more because he's active now? I do love co-sleeping, but to be honest, I don't sleep as well. I'd prefer him to sleep in his Pack N Play beside me, like he used to. I don't mind the snacking at night, but if I'm going to get only 3 hours of sleep at a time, I'd like it to be good sleep! Any tips on getting him to sleep on his own?

Any help would be much appreciated! I will say this... Since he has been eating so much, I get out of doing most of the house work!

Default Re: Growth spurt question

There's a big growth spurt at around the 3 month mark, so that would be my first guess at an explanation for what you're experiencing. It would explain the increased nursing frequency perfectly. The nighttime and nap time behavior- well, that could be a growth spurt or it could be the beginning of teething or it could be the fact that at 3 months your LO is mastering a lot of new milestones which can interfere with sleep. Seemingly simple things like discovering how to reach or put your fingers in your mouth reliably can really change a baby's sleep patterns, because those things are really big for the developing brain. I don't think adults can begin to comprehend how much a baby is learning, and how stimulating the world is for them.

There's very little you can do about sleep at this point, but I do recommend getting a copy of Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution". It's got plenty of gentle techniques that can encourage a baby to sleep longer and more independently, and 3 months is a good time to read it because IIRC Pantley recommends not trying to change anything about your baby's sleep patterns until around 4 months of age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Growth spurt question

Finally have time to reply!

I picked up the book and I've been loving it! I've been applying some of the techniques for nap times, but I think I've just resigned myself to continue co-sleeping. We have huge windows in our bedroom that are apparently drafty. My dogs won't even sleep near them anymore! So of course L isn't go to sleep in his Pack n Play, that's so low to the floor, near the drafts! Took me long enough to figure out. But, he's also sleeping in five hour stretches. So I figure we'll just play this out for a bit longer. I really don't where he sleeps at this point, as long as he continues sleeping 5 hours at a time!

L had his 4 month appointment yesterday and his pedi said that he's looking good. I just started the mini-pill, so I was so worried about my supply and with the combination of his growth spurt, I was so afraid I was having supply issues. He weighed a little over 14 lbs, so he didn't gain a whole lot of weight, but he was 27 inches long! He's pedi said with the combination of him being so long and him rolling over like a maniac, it's no big deal. She told me just to keep doing what I'm doing. All I can say is thank goodness for awesome doctors that breast fed their own babies! I feel so much better now!

Now if we can just get this teething thing figured out... His pedi said she didn't see or feel any teeth, but that really didn't mean anything. He was rubbing his face like it was hurting him, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for all of the help! I really don't know how I would have managed without this site!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and