Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby woke during pumping

Question Baby woke during pumping

This hasn't happened yet but I think it could.

I'm pumping to establish a freezer supply and I wake at 5 am to pump since I have to wake up at that time when I go back to work. Sometimes my LO sleeps great and will wake only once about 1-2 am to eat (he's 11 weeks old).

What should I do if he wakes when I'm in the middle of pumping? Do I give him the milk in the bottle or just feed him from my breast? I hope this never happens but I want to know what to do in case it does. He gave me a little scare this morning when the baby monitor went off.

Default Re: Baby woke during pumping

Ok, so he woke AFTER I was done pumping and pumped about 3.5 oz. I gave him that bottle since I thought I'd be dry. He drank it all but then spit up a whole bunch. He seems happy and has burped a few times already.

Why did he spit it up? Will this means he's hungrier soon?

If he wakes in the middle of pumping, nurse him and see what happens. He will probably be satisfied with what is in the breast, since babies are able to get milk out much better than a pump can, and even when you feel empty there is milk in there. Also, the additional stimulation is terrific for supply. Now, if you are really emptied out when the baby nurses, he may nurse for longer than usual, fuss more, and need to nurse again much sooner than you expect. But he won't starve!

Given the work schedule you are anticipating, you might want to start waking your baby at around 5 am, nursing, and then pumpinafter he is done.

As to why your baby spit up after drinking the bottle, well, the reason is probably just that babies spit up and it's a normal part of being a baby. But it could also be that he was overfull. 3.5 oz is actually a lot of milk for a breastfed baby- many breastfed babies take in just 2-3 oz at a sitting, or referring to eat many smaller meals than just a few large ones. So you may want to think about the size of the bottles you're offering.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the quick reply. After he'd been up for about 45 min he started getting fussy which usually doesn't happen until he'd been up for about an hour and 10 min. So I fed him (and he ate!) and he is now down for a nap and passed out. I usually don't feed him before naps but I sensed that he needed more.

If I wake him at 5 am, I'm guessing that I'll put him back to sleep afterwards. I just posted another topic, but would I have to wake him at 6:15/30 to feed again to take him to my MIL's so I can go to work? Or just wake him and take him over there? I don't know how I'd pump (the whole process is long!), shower, eat and get ready in only an hour.

Ah, gotcha! I was thinking that you were leaving a sleeping baby at 5, and then his first feeding of the day would be a bottle from his caregiver. But I agree that your schedule leaves you little time to fit it all in! I honestly don't know how I'd make it work. But tinkering with your routine can't hurt, right...?

It never hurts to feed a baby more- if you usually don't nurse before naps there's no harm in doing so. It's great for milk supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I guess I can pump after he's down for bedtime. I know my supply would be lower at night but at least I'd get something for emergencies. That wouldn't leave much time for DH and I to spend together though....humpf.

I know it's tough to have no time to connect with your DH in the evening! But I think that's actually a good plan. Pumping right after baby goes down for the night, and then maybe once before you go to bed, or in the car on the way to work (there are great hands-free set-ups that work for lots of moms)... Those could decompress your morning a bit.

Just a thought- can you eat breakfast and pump at the same time? Like you sit down at the pump, your DH makes you an egg on toast or bowl of oatmeal, and you eat and pump at the same time?

How long does it take you to pump?

I only pumped for 15 to 20 minutes. It didn't take that long to finished up cause I would just pour both collection bottles into one bottle (one of the two I had collected in) and then put a ccap on it. And put in fridge. Put pump parts in fridge for 24 hours and have hubby wash them once a day. So I'm thinking even when I had been out with the pump (car, etc) it never took me more then 25 minutes?

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

If you are just pumping 3-6 oz, it takes about 20-30 minutes. I pump way more than that, and it takes 45-60 minutes. But there are some things you can do to speed up the process:

Breast compressions
    Use your pump to stimulate a seco d letdown 8-10 minutes in if you can (if I get a second letdown, it is at least 30 minutes in)
    Double pump
    Hands free bra
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I watched that video on how to maximize pumping so I am going to try that for sure. I do have a hands free bra, a sports bra that I cut up and use. Sometimes I just get so anxious to get done quickly that I forget about the second letdown. I know it happens when he BFs but I forget to do it at the pump.

What if I was to pump more than I needed while I was at work? I have pumped up to 5 oz at work at one time and that was without the breast massage, etc. Maybe I could save some of that for a stash? My MIL watches him and is really good about not over feeding him. She used to BF so she understands.